Mom's Cornbread mix

Combine the dry ingredients below in a jar to give as a gift, or just keep handy for the next time you want to make cornbread! 3 cups sifted flour 3 cups yellow cornmeal 1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk 3 1/2 tbsp baking powder 2 1/2 tsp salt 3 tbsp sugar (optional) Include a

bread, cha, cornbread, crumbly, cut, dirt cheap recipes, dry, good, grainy, hat, homemade mixes, jar gift ideas, kitchen mixes, make, make your own, mix, mom, recipe, scratch, storing, cups, tbsp, ingredients, shortening, eggs, water, combine, large, place, bowl, center, 425, preheat, clean, lightly, beaten, oven, bake, vegetable, 8x8x2, 15-20, resembles, inserted, coarse, crumbs, minutes, knife, greased, include, time

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Mom's Cornbread mix

Combine the dry ingredients below in a jar to give as a gift, or just keep handy for the next time you want to make cornbread!

3 cups sifted flour
    3 cups yellow cornmeal
    1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
    3 1/2 tbsp baking powder
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tbsp sugar (optional)
    Include a decorative tag with instructions for making the cornbread:

Combine

2 1/2 cups of the cornbread mix
    3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening

3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup water
    Preheat the oven to 425 Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the dry mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and water and mix well. Bake in an 8"x8"x2" greased pan for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

How is this? When I do cornbread from scratch it always seems grainy and dry. I need a good recipe.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its real good, the shortening makes it lighter and not as grainy....good luck!! and thanks!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Mom's Cornbread mix

How dry and crumbly is it after you cut in the shortening? I was wondering if the shortening could be cut in when you make the mix, then storing it that way. Whatcha think?

Carol B