Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question New to Slow Cooking...

Actually, I've never done it before. I don't even have a Slow Cooker (is this the same as a Crock Pot?). Anyone have any helpful tips for getting started? I was thinking of buying a cook book for it, but thought it might be cheaper to ask you all instead. I thought crock pots were just for stews and soups, is this true?

I'm also VERY nervous about leaving any appliances on while I am at work or not at home during the day. How does this work? My boss says she does it all the time, but isn't that unsafe? I wouldn't want anything to happen to my 2 kitties while I am away.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to starsinnight For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi starsinnight -I have been slow cooking for well 20 years or so -as far as a crockpot -yes they are very safe -I have left in the morning and supper is done when I come home -pretty cool. As far as the kitties -you may need to place it in a room where they can not get to it -it will be hot-I'm not sure they can knock it over -if you place far enough back on your cabinet. If still not sure ,cook something easy like a beef or pork roast when your home -then you can find out about the cats. I just place my meat ,an onion cut up and water to fo 1/2 way up the meat -than later I add carrots and potatoes. If I was leaving I would add the carrots in large chunks with the meat and the potatoes whole or I would bake them they tend to get mushy. I would cook this 8-10 hours depending on roast size.Well hope I helped Bobbi-ne

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcoffey68359 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use it all the time. It's perfectly safe. Just keep it away from stuff. For instance, don't put a hot pad under it. There's no need for it and it's a fire hazard. The countertops will be fine. Keep the area around it clear. Try it out at home for the first few times. DON'T buy a cook book for it. All the recipes you'll ever need are free online.

I love to make swiss steak, puddings, chicken and rice, roast beef, baked beans, and more in my crockpot. It's energy-saving versus using the oven, too.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DohDohBird For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Crock-pot/slow cooker to me is the same thing. Today though you get different style (oval, rectangular) shaped. You can cook just about anything in one. Great time saver. I agree don't bother with a cookbook, plenty of recipes on here (the dump recipes) as well as anywhere on the internet. They are very safe. My cat doesn't bother with mine because the heat keeps her away. HTH

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use mine at least once a week and it is great to come home and have dinner ready

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suey For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not all slow cookers/crockpots are the same. Definitely try it out the first time while you are around! I have one slow cooker that cooks much faster and My first roast with veggies in it was done and burning on low in 5 hours. I got 8 of them so that one fit in just fine but sure wouldn't use it if I was going to be gone all day! Most crockpots you can leave on low and dinner can take as long as 12 hours depending on what you are cooking and which crockpot you are using. I often have 3 going all at once. I will also use another overnight to have breakfast ready when we get up. I can't imagine life with out my crockpots!!!
    Last edited by brchbell; 11-11-2008 at 02:50 PM.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dont they have one now that will automatically switch temperatures as needed. Maybe I am wrong but I thought they did.
    Mdowdy

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes they do now! And they sure are nice! Between the farm and home schooling and a million other things I run like crazy. I'm on real good terms with all 8 of my slow cookers and couldn't survive without them! the one that cooks much faster than it should is a life saver on days when things suddenly aren't going the way they should. I can still dash and through stuff into the crockpot and know it can be done in 5 hours instead of 8 or 10.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast