Help!! Skunk smell

Help!! Skunk smell

I know the list has talked about this but couldn't find it. We are leaving on vacation with the dog on Sat. If I had the money I could kennel him, but don't. Staying with him on vacation was only $25 more so that was worth it (since last kennelling ran close to $300). I don't want the place to

baking, cup, eyes, formula, hair, hat, info, juice, liquid, men, minutes, mix, pet, pro, recipe, rinse, soap, soda, times, tomato, vacation, smell, skunk, thought, night, place, leave, detergent, $300, hours, locked, cool, late, find, leaving, list, talked, money, worth, kennelling, kennel, staying, close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help!! Skunk smell

I know the list has talked about this but couldn't find it.

We are leaving on vacation with the dog on Sat. If I had the money I could kennel him, but don't. Staying with him on vacation was only $25 more so that was worth it (since last kennelling ran close to $300). I don't want the place to smell like skunk when we leave and the thought of being in car locked in with it for over 2 1/2 hours is not cool either.

Did tomato & dog detergent late last night.

Ria

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Found this info on a vet website, hope it helps.....

Either use a treatment specifically formulated for use on skunk odors like Skunk Kleen or Skunk-Off, or use the following formula:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap
    This recipe can be doubled for bigger breeds.

Wet your pet down and work the mixture through the pet's hair. Leave it on for three to four minutes and rinse. This will generally need to be repeated several times. Be sure to throw away any excess mixture. Do NOT get any of the mixture in the eyes; as a precaution, place protective ophthalmic ointment in the eyes.

Note that the above mixture may bleach the hair color temporarily until the animal sheds and new hair grows in. Common antidotes like tomato juice, vinegar, or regular shampoos will not be as effective.

Kris

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kris,
    THANKS will try this tonight .. I picked up 3# of baking soda for the rugs .. the whole house stinks ..

this will be bath #2

I would consider cutting hair but its going to be winter in Maine

Ria

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Keep us posted and let us know how it works!! Yeah a puppy in Maine with no fur that wouldn't be good!! Then we'd have to find you a pattern for a really warm sweater and possibly pants Good Luck, hope it works!

Kris

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Nearly a Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try Dawn dish soap, that is what our groomer at work recommends!! Good Luck!!!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

never had that problem, but baking soda usually works for us for things like htat.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flutterbye0419 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

We used tomato juice and that didn't work. What we found that worked best was vinegar, but the smell still lingers for a while. Good luck!

Debbie

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Nearly a Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

our groomer at work uses dawn dish soap. She swears by it, says it drys out the hair shafts

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cyndiev@sbcglobal.net For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast