Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Pumkin Spice Cake
10-31-2008, 05:01 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- outside Philadelphia, PA
- Blog Entries
Pumkin Spice Cake
1 box (18.25 oz) spice cake mix
1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie mix)
3 large eggs
1 cup water
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
1 jar (7 or 71/2 oz) marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow Fluff or Creme)
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp each maple extract and vanilla extract
Garnish: marzipan pumpkins and vines (see Note)
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 8 x 2-in. round baking pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax paper; spray paper.
2. Beat cake mix, pumpkin purée, eggs and water in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter between pans.
3. Bake 30 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert, remove pans, peel off paper and cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make Frosting: Beat butter in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow cream until blended, then beat in confectioners’ sugar and extracts. Increase speed to high and beat about 3 minutes or until fluffy.
5. Assemble: Cut off rounded tops of each cake layer to make flat, if desired. Place a cake layer, top side up, on a serving platter. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Place remaining cake layer, top side up, on top. Frost sides and top with remaining frosting. Store, loosely covered, in refrigerator up to 2 days. Let come to room temperature before serving. Garnish with marzipan pumpkins and vines.
Plan Ahead: You can make marzipan pumpkins and vines up to 5 days ahead, and bake and frost the cake up to 2 days ahead. (Or, to make it really easy, just buy those candy pumpkins & use them! )