Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Homemade Toilet Cleaner

Baking Soda
    Lemon Juice
    Vinegar (for really bad toilets)

Sprinkle a little baking soda and lemon juice into your toilet and walk away.
    Come back later and scrub with a brush.

easy and economical!!

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never used lemon juice -- will have to try it.

I have used baking soda & vinegar to clean my drains and it works well. I've found that it also works well for unclogging the toilet when the plunger doesn't work. I just plunge till most of the water is gone, then add baking soda and follow with vinegar. I let it sit awhile (15 min or so) and follow up with a really BIG bucket/pot of hot water. Usually doing this twice will restore the 'glug' sound. (for repeat problems you may want to call the toilet manufacture. I did this and (honest - it's true!) he had me flush the toilet and hold the phone over the toilet so he could hear the sound. He talked me through a few adjustments to the tank parts and flushed again and the toilet 'glugged' properly!) I was amazed!

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to taxcat24 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks taxcat......for all the help!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the lemon juice and baking soda for all my toilets !!! I also use it to clean my stove !!!! It also works great on ovens and sooooo much easier on the lungs than the commercial oven cleaners !!! If it's really bad sometimes I will use a green 3M scrubber and that always does the trick !!!!
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD. Psalm 127:3
    There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
    Exodus 23:26

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to incheck4real For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use lemon juice and salt in my coffee pots, now you have me thinking that might work also on the toilets!!
    Last edited by faxonfive; 11-06-2008 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cheat and throw in a chlorine tab from the pool in the tank .. We have horrible hard water (it will leave deposits in less than a week), the chlorine tab takes care of it.

I did have to change the flapper, but it has also helped on flushing !!! The outside sewer pipes were moved a few years ago and they do not slant as much as they used to as a result everyone on the street was having a problem of plugged toliets especially in winter. The chlorine I think clears the pipes of buildup which means it flows faster, less chance of freezing.

My son uses on his bathroom too and he had always had a problem of flushing at his place - it stopped the problem (same town/same water)

Ria

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't clean my bathroom, I daily swish it. Every time I go in I do something different. I get up in the morning and my first trip I throw a little body wash or shampoo in the toilet and swish it around. I actually do this twice a day because we got nice orange iron water and doing it twice keeps it from staining. Next trip I swish the sinks. Take a bath when done swish out the tub. Take a shower swish on the way out. Wipe down mirrors with damp towel on next trip. Once a month I vacuum. It is so simple and I hardly notice doing it now but I never actually clean my bathroom except for the once a month vacuum. No chemicals just sweet smelling bath products. I use to fight and work hard trying to keep the stains off and now they are gone and I don't have to scrub it each week and I do mean I scrubbed it!

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Toilet Cleaner

The baking soda and lemon juice actually takes off that gray stuff in texture-bottomed showers.
    We all have the extraordinary coded within us, waiting to be released.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast