What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Do-nothing chicken

Since chicken parts are pretty cheap we've always got them on hand. Here's what I do to make them tasty on a night when I don't feel like cooking because you can pretty much walk away from it (just don't forget it's there!).

Tear off as much of the skin as you can if you want your chicken to be a little bit more lean. I like the thighs and they alwyas come with a ton of skin on them. Sprinkle each side liberally with Old Bay. I've always got some in the spice cabinet because I absolutely love the stuff on everything from mashed potatoes to eggs. I'm sure you can MYO but I have no idea how.

Put about two teaspoons of oil or butter (the residual fat on the chicken will lube the pan enough so it doesn't skick) in a large pan (I use a 12" deep skillet) on med-high heat, plop in the chicken skin-side down, cover and let it cook until it's done. I have no idea how long this takes. I usually clean up and start feeding the baby, checking on it every now and then and making sure to turn it when the skin side is nice and brown. Then I go back to feeding the baby or whatever until the other side is done. If the hubs isn't home by the time the chicken is done you can leave it on lo heat and it won't dry out, just remember to keep it covered.

When you're ready to severe you can make a pan sauce -- gravy, actually -- by removing the chicken and melting two tablespoons of butter in the pan with two tablespoons of flour (lower the heat to med). Add chicken broth little by little until you get the consistency you desire. I use about a cup of broth. You could also use a little white wine in place of some of the broth.

This is also good using Adobo but don't be as liberal. I made that mistake once and it was very salty. I didn't make the pan sauce that time so I don't know if "Adobo gravy" will be any good. I've never tried this with the boneless, skinless breasts. I've got a different post for those...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrisKris For This Useful Post: