• Tips-n-Tricks
  • Contact Us
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Mod Squad
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Question Traditions for News Year

Okay I like the Tradition information that is being posted. I have lived in a few different places across the USA and have noticed that there are different meals served on New Years Day that signify something for the coming year.

One example is that the part of Ohio I was born in you eat Sauerkraut on New Years Day, if you do you will have money all year. Something I still do to this day . In Oklahoma it was Black Eye Peas-can't recall the reason behind it.

So my question is what traditional food do you serve for New Years Day and is there a reason behind it?
      Thanks, I look forward to seeing information

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Even here in N. Ohio I still start a crockpot of Sauerkraut & pork of some kind, usually a pork roast--on New Eve--for New Years Day. My DH's parensts did the same and they were from the Uk. There would be something missing in the house if I didn't do this. There is a feeling of content, carry this tradition on.
      JoAnn
      "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

In the South, you have Black Eyed Peas & Collard Greens

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

rtebalt, When they have Black Eyed Peas & Collard Greens, is there a story behind it ? Such as having good luck thur the New Year.
      JoAnn

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Yes, they say that if you eat Black Eyed Peas and greens on New Years Day you will have good luck through the New Year. (I've actually never done it, but that's what most people eat where I come from.)

Like so many other traditions, this one has many different stories as to how it got started. Here are a few that I have found:

1.) Back in the days of the Old South, during the time of Southern gentility, and Northern hostility, the celebrated black eyed peas were used strictly for the feeding of cattle. During the Civil War battle of Vicksburg, the town was under siege for over 40 days. The Yankee soldiers burned all the crops except for the "cowpeas" which they considered worthless weeds. The Union army raided all the food supplies and took everything except the "cow peas" stored for the winter. With no supplies coming in the citizens suffered great deprivations.The entire town was on the brink of starvation, so in desperation they ate those humble "cowpeas" and were lucky to survive the war, thus starting a Southern tradition. Nowadays that is why it is considered good luck to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day.

2.) Black eyed peas signify coins and the collard greens represent currency and thus represent hopes of prosperity and good luck in the coming new year.

3.) All the way back to the days of the Pharaoh, blackeyed peas have been a symbol of luck and fortune. The superstition is that those who eat blackeyes, an inexpensive and modest food, show their humility instead of vanity, and thus save themselves from the wrath of the gods.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Oh My --- What a wonderful History Lessons. I'm soo glad I asked . I like Black-Eye Peas and certainly Greens, but they have to be Fresh ones, the canned ones are to mushy for me. Might have to pull the crock pot out for this one. Your postings are really good. Thanks again.
      JoAnn

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

I am from Kentucky but now live in Florida. Everyone in Kentucky eats black Eyed Peas & Cabbage on New Years Day. My Grandma the reason why was if you start the new year modest then the whole rest of the year you would have plenty.
      Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD. Psalm 127:3
      There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
      Exodus 23:26

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to incheck4real For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
      Downloads
      Uploads

The biggest tradition here at home is to eat 12 currants at the stroke of midnight, for good luck and go up some stairs or chair - for good luck also.
      live and help live

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QueenSissi For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast