Holiday Menus?

Holiday Menus?

Does anyone know yet what they're making for Christmas or Thanksgiving? I'm only having myself and my Significant Other for Christmas, but for Thanksgiving I'm travelling to my brother's - which means I'm only in charge of a few sides (YEA! I GET THE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE) since others chose

casserole, cookbook, cranberry, day, deep, easy, gravy, hat, list, men, pecan, post, potato, recipe, roll, star, stuffing, sweet, world, year, thanksgiving, christmas, menus, chose, green, bean, desserts, favorites, recipes, sides, drinks, main, means, significant, making, travelling, charge, holiday, brothers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Menus?

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Holiday Menus?

Does anyone know yet what they're making for Christmas or Thanksgiving? I'm only having myself and my Significant Other for Christmas, but for Thanksgiving I'm travelling to my brother's - which means I'm only in charge of a few sides (YEA! I GET THE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE) since others chose already the main course, desserts, stuffing, and drinks!

But what about menus and recipes that are your favorites?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningG For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh! To answer my own question - for Christmas I'm making a quick ham with sweet potatoes, with very simple sides - broccoli & blue cheese, sliced salmon with cream cheese and crackers, brie - things that I know both of us like that are easy.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningG For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

For Christmas, I'm making:
    1.) honey baked ham
    2.) potato salad
    3.) deviled eggs
    4.) apple onion stuffing
    5.) macaroni & cheese
    6.) brown rice
    7.) green bean casserole
    8.) stuffed mushrooms
    9.) pumpkin pie or pecan pie
    10.) marbled Andes brownies
    11.) Nitey-Nite cookies

I love making everything! I'm so excited! I've been planning for months! By the time Christmas comes, I will probably have added a few more things!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

mmm sounds good. Post recipes somewhere! i love seeing how others make their goodies!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningG For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

For Thanksgiving, as mentioned in a previous post, I will have a house full. I will serve: Deep Fried Turkey (this will allow me to use the oven for other things), sweet potato casserole (which is out of this world), some kind of mashed potato (I'm not sure yet whether I will try to fancy it up any), a basic roll (I got an easy recipe out of a local cookbook last year that turned out great), some kind of green veggie (not sure yet what that will be), stuffing (of course, but not homemade), cranberry sauce, gravy, a couple pies (I haven't decided on the exact kind, but probably a version of a pumpkin and pecan). I will also serve nuts as a snack throughout the day, because that just started out as a family tradition years ago and I can't stop that. I might make a couple loaves of quick bread for snacking on later in the day. My aunt will be here to help, so I'm sure she will add a couple things to my list, but we certainly won't be starving that day.

Debbie

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

dyankee1995, I don't know if you're interested, but I have a really good recipe for stuffing - and its not hard to make. In fact, you could make it up the night before & just pop in the oven (or toaster oven) on Thanksgiving. Here it is. Its a Rachael Ray recipe & my hubbie just LOVED it when I made it last year.

Apple & Onion Stuffin' Muffins

2 Tbs olive oil
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 fresh bay leaf
    4 ribs celery
    1 medium to large onion
    3 McIntosh apples, quartered & chopped
    salt & pepper
    2 Tbs poultry seasoning
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    8 cups Pepperidge Farm Stuffing Mix
    2-3 cups chicken stock

1.) Preheat large skillet over Medium-High heat. Add olive oil & 4 Tbs butter. When butter melts, add bay leaf, celery, onion & apples. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & poultry seasoning. Cook 5-6 minutes to begin softening veggies & apples, then add parsley & stuffing to pan & combine. Moisten stuffing with broth until bread is soft, but not wet.
    2.) Butter 12 muffin cups liberally. Use ice cream scoop to fill & mound into tins. (Remove bay leaf.) Bake until set & crisp on top, 10-15 minutes. Remove & serve hot or at room temperature.

Makes 12 muffins

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mmm stuffing muffins - that sounds great for a quick go, and festive too!
    Thanks!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MorningG For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the recipe for the stuffing muffins. I will definitely try it. My aunt is a big fan of Rachel Ray, so I think she will especially enjoy these for Thanksgiving. Do you happen to have any exceptional recipes for a green veggie that I can serve that day. I don't want to use the old stand by green bean casserole. I'd like to try something different for a change, but keeping it simple.

Debbie

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast