Help (with Dad's Stocking)

This year my parents are coming for Christmas. I'm so excited because my hubbie & I have never hosted them for Christmas! I'm having a little difficulty finding things to put in my Dad's stocking. Candy is not a problem. I know exactly what he likes, but I don't want his stocking to just be candy.

book, bottle, call, chocolate, hot, items, lotion, mail, mix, mom, nail polish, pads, phone card, rewards, skin, state, stickers, tools, toys, treat, stocking, ideas, moms, likes, loves, paramedic, dads, things, candy, christmas, church, teacher, instructor, cute, parents, cats, year, involved, sweets, shes, easier, advance, love, manly, special, coming, loss, hosted, finding, difficulty

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help (with Dad's Stocking)

This year my parents are coming for Christmas. I'm so excited because my hubbie & I have never hosted them for Christmas! I'm having a little difficulty finding things to put in my Dad's stocking. Candy is not a problem. I know exactly what he likes, but I don't want his stocking to just be candy. But I am at a loss for what else to get. Anyone have any ideas?????
    So far I only have 2 things:
    1.) I got him a gift set with the razor & shaving cream that he likes
    2.) 3 teeny tiny bottles of Tabasco - he loves hot sauce & I thought that would be cute

Here's a little about my Dad:
    1.) He's a Paramedic & Paramedic Instructor
    2.) He is very involved in our church (as a teacher, etc.)
    3.) He & my mom have 4 cats
    2.) He's not big on chocolate, but he loves sweets

Please help! Anyone with any "manly" ideas???? I want his stocking to be just as special as my Mom's. (If you have any ideas for my Mom's stocking, I would love some more ideas as well, but she's a little easier to buy for.)

Thanks so much in advance for the help!!!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you thought about some nice insoles-sounds like he is on his feet often, made some feet soak? Maybe you get his students at Church to put together a little book thing for him-have them write or draw on paper something special they have learned from him then put tie them together with ribbon-would need someone else from the Church to help do this.
    I will try to keep thinking

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi!!

How about a nice pair of slippers, a pocket size bible, a new wallet with pictures of the family in it - then you can add a little surprize with a $20 in it...??

Lynn
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once I did up a scrapbook of different major things that may grandmother had lived through. Printed off information from the internet (and pictures). Took each ten years and selected major headliners-like the Lindberg Baby, stock market crash, when new monuments were dedicated, wars, etc. and there were some things that she had forget she had lived through.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

For your Dad, look in his "place" does he need any "new/replacement" tools?
    For both Mom & Dad possibles...
    A book of stamps to mail...
    A phone card to call...
    Duct tape
    those small pocket size stain removers like Tide
    Flavored teas, coffees, hot chocolate, anything they like to drink
    speciality foods that might be a tad too expensive for regular grocery shopping
    kitchen utensils, unusual ones for Mom
    Note paper/pads/pens
    candles/sachets/auto fresheners
    coupons for oil change, favorite fast food, favorite place to stop for coffee
    Scratch Offs from the lottery if you have one in your state and they appreciate that
    small bottle of favorite cologne
    cook books, or books on any subject
    majazine of a particular interest, even if just for that month if they don't ordinarly subscribe
    Do they recall some of the items they got as a child in their stockings? Anything from that you could find, like those paddle balls, or silly putty, or something from another era
    items to give as rewards to the class he teaches--stickers, pencils, etc.
    beauty items, if used like nail polish/manicure items; fancy skin produts, favorite cosmetic--lipstick, chapstick
    orange, nuts--when my Mom and Dad were alive, they talked about how it was a treat to get those, and for some reason, they thought it was a treat for me to get those---THEY WERE WRONG, and I told them and told them and told them...
    small games
    key chains
    batteries
    just a few of the things I look for to include in many of the stockings, and I fill a lot of stockings, like 8 or 9. A mix of practical like the batteries, and the usefull like chapstick or lotion, and the silly like the toys or old time stocking fillers.
    Gloria

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to trekglo For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

trekglo, lots of great ideas there! Thanks

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

trekglo, I like the idea of the stamps and phone cards. You came up with alot of good ideas here. I'll have to use some for my family.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I highly recommend shopping year round for people. I know it seems a bit "much." But, if I had to go shopping on just a few days to get the stuff I do, it would be pretty boring, at least in my opinion. Guys are both easy and hard, tools, gadgets, candy, any hobby or work related items. I have some standards for people. I'm a fan of interesting calendars. So, about 5 of the local area specific to the work the men do are bought every year for hubby, son, brother-in-law, and a couple others. I will also look for calendars for specific intersts of co-workers. Hubby golfs, so always golfing items. Youngest son, only had his home a couple of years, so all the odd bits you need, but only buy, when you discover a need for...WD40, assortment of screws/nails/hangers for items, odd types of tools, just the jumble of items you use only a few times a year or encounter a special need for all of a sudden. Also, hubby and this son are waterman, so lots of work related items, gloves, thermal underware, and special items used for that job and freezer bags for the fish son catches/cleans and sells. One son is very HARD to shop for. He has few "interests" and his work doesn't require any special needs, he works in an archives at the university. But, he has been a fan of the Beatles, so every year it's every new Beatles book, CD, DVD...and any collectibles I can find over the year. He also likes the Bee Gee's, so less on them, but if I find it, I buy it. Many items I buy from Amazon, used for the books when possible. And he's "into" history of this region, so lots of books on the area. And, he's been a fan of Star Wars and Star Trek, so stuff on them, but then I'm a fan, so I get my stuff first<GGGG> And this son isn't into candy as much, so he gets more gift certificates.
    The females are perhaps more fun to shop for. I am always picking ups fragranced items--candles, etc. And note pads, special pens, lotions and potions, and anything related to a particular interest, plus some gift cards/certificates. Usually some unique and or handmade Christmas decorations too. Sometimes I do "so well...I forget I have things and where I put them..." I did that a couple of years ago, and only just found these particular items I'd bought for daughter-in-law and her mom, sister-in-law, niece and a friend!!! Hope I remember them this year...
    Actually today, was a fooly. As I was getting dressed I heard it rain, so thought too many of the few yard sales had rain dates, I'll stay home. However, now that the sun has come out, it's not raining and looks like it's clearing!!!! Am I bummed!!!! So, I'll try to do a sort of the items I have for people and put every body's stuff in their own box...I like doing it, but after awhile I loose energy...
    Anyone want to come play Santa today?
    Gloria

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trekglo For This Useful Post: