Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Saving on cooking grease

How to Clean Leftover Grease

Do you save your leftover grease in a can? You don't have to throw leftover grease from bacon, sausage, hamburgers etc. away. Reuse it by making your own lard, or add birdseed to make your own bird fat.

Back when we couldn't afford to buy shortening, we retified (cleaned) our leftover grease. Here's how:

1.Melt the grease that is in the can till it is loose enough to pour into a pot.
    2. Add twice as much water as you have grease.
    3. For each cup of smelly fat, add two table spoons of vinegar or lemon juice in half a cup of water and boil.
    4. Boil the grease and water for about a half hour.
    5. Let cool then refrigerate.

Once it cools the grease will float to the top and harden. Run a knife around the edge of the hardened grease and flip it out of the pot onto your hand. Some scum will be on the bottom, scrape it off with a knife. Now the grease is clean and reuseable

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Lynn,
    I remember growing up and having the crisco can on the stove. But we never did any filtering that way. Mom would have us run the warm lard thur a cheese cloth. Then we would put the filtered lard in the refig. Two cans were always on hand for this.
    And we would only use the lard after that for frying potatoes,cooking eggs and to cook some meats with.
    How the times have changed---I think now you might get me back to some of the basics here,a little more (Frugal Savings)?
    A Good Post here Thanks
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lynn,

Thanks we used to use the can with a metal coffee type filter to get the big bits, then warm up and restrain one more time ..

This sounds easier .. Messy but easier

Today I don't use much bacon grease but I still saved the info

Have you tried using this for making soap? I know Nana did use her grease to make soap .. Unfortunately not a skill that was passed on (my mom thought it was gross)

Ria

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Ria,
    When you said your mother thought making soap out of grease was gross --- I had to laugh. I really think it's gross too. I"ll go out on the back dock at work and the is a lg. dumpster w/old grease --- talk about stink and gross--I aways think there is my next bar of soap yuck...
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My parents used to keep the grease in a coffee can too Granny used to use it to make soap....but I was always to scared to use it LOL.....I save mine in a coffee can too.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post: