i have a question about what i read in a book.

i have a question about what i read in a book.

I read in the complete tightwad gazette that you can reuse pickle juice by slicing a cucumber thin and letting it soak for 4 days. these really turned out great. here is my question, how many times can i "reuse" the pickle juice? and can i combine different ones to make a full jar as long as they

book, complete, days, great, half, hat, hem, hey, juice, leave, letting, lisa, long, love, pickles, question, sweet, tsgal, wedges, weeks, pickle, reuse, dill, read, times, make, full, combine, soak, tightwad, gazette, slicing, cucumber, thin, turned

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default i have a question about what i read in a book.

I read in the complete tightwad gazette that you can reuse pickle juice by slicing a cucumber thin and letting it soak for 4 days. these really turned out great. here is my question, how many times can i "reuse" the pickle juice? and can i combine different ones to make a full jar as long as they are dill to dill and sweet to sweet?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bethaliz6894 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is interesting never thought of reusing pickle juice wish i had known that before throwing out my empty jar of pickles lol
    Mdowdy

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love to can foods, yes you can put in different ones in the same jar. It makes things more interesting. I would not use the the juice again, since you have already used it, but that is up to you. I would see it this way, it's already been used twice now, once from the factory and once when you reused it. I would think that the strength of the mixture would not be as good as it was. Plus I would be concerned about the bacteria build up.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have done this before and I love the pickles. I leave them for about 3 weeks (wedges) and they are great! Almost like half-sours. I would not use the brine more than once, I agree with tsgal on that one. Lisa

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks guys, i was thinking the same thing, they are half the sour so i figured one reuse.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bethaliz6894 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would agree with the one use only unless you really know your pickle juice! If it has lots of salt and vinegar then maybe you could use it more but I would really only try it once to keep from forming bacterial growth in it. I would also make sure it stayed refrigerated between and during uses.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks brchbell, i was thinking just one reuse not because of bacteria but because of strenth. vinager is antibacterial.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bethaliz6894 For This Useful Post: