Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SOS...quick, easy, and cheap recipes needed for a family of 9!

Hello again!

I have my Aunt and her family coming for the week of Thanksgiving. So I will be cooking for a family of 9 instead of the usual family of 4. We have a small house, but have enough room to accomodate everyone, but I need help in making meals as quick, easy, and cheap as possible. My Thanksgiving menu is pretty much complete, but I will need to keep things simple the rest of the week, especially the day before Thanksgiving as I will be in the kitchen preparing for the meal the next day. Since my family of 4 has a strict budget, I need inexpensive and quick and easy meals for our extended family for the week. Crockpot recipes or casserole recipes will be much appreciated, but keep in mind that I will be feeding 9 people which includes 4 adults, 1 teenage boy, and 4 preteen girls. Yes, I know, I will have my hands full. That is why I am in desperate need of some help in planning my meals for the week. I have a 12 quart and a 6 quart Nesco roaster/oven that is useful in making large crockpot type meals.

TIA,
    Debbie

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fyou have any frozen meats to spare how about: In your crockpot - huge pot of chili, shepards pie (hamurger,gravey peas,corn, covered with mashed potatoes - you can even used instant), Chicken & dumpling (easy and great for the crock pot too), mac n cheese bake (mac n cheese with ham or even spam baked with bread crumbs and check on top) - this should at least cover the Mon, Tues and Wed before Thanksgiving - then you have the big dinner and leftovers the next day. If they are to arrive on Sunday I would suggest that they bring a couple covered dishes to help with Sunday dinner. Homemade bread is good also with each meal because it is a good filler too. I hope I was able to help some. Make sure you get REST!! Good Luck and God Bless!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    NE Fort Bend County, TX - Sugar Land Mailing address
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spaghetti, Beef rice with gravy are good and filling as well. I'd do things like grilled cheese sandwiches and soups for lunches. I would definetely do Chili and corn bread the day before, its a one pot meal with 1 pan in the oven.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to janetaba For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot to mention that my Aunt's husband comes from an Italian family, so fixing Italian foods is out of the question. They get too much of that from his side of the family and they are always hoping for something different. Otherwise, I wouldn't be in a panic right now. I have several cheap and easy Italian recipes. Oh well. For breakfasts, I have been stocking up on cereal when it goes on sale, so that isn't a problem. Lunch can be pretty simple with sandwiches. Dinners are the main issue right now, as well as desserts. Again, my Aunt's husband is one of those that has to have a dessert after every meal. Leftovers from Thanksgiving will be easy on Friday. Saturday I can plan on doing something out on the grill, like hotdogs or hamburgers. The chili suggestions might be a good idea. I appreciate all of the suggestions, so keep them coming.

Debbie

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A pot roast would feed several-its not italian -does he do Pizza? Homemade pizza can go far. Soups are a good money saver also.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a thought, what about spagetti noodles with the leftover chili on top?? lots of cheese and onions....with some crackers??
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I found a recipe that I am gonna try later this week and it is one of Paula Deen's recipes.
    Poor Man's Mignon:
    Hamburger Meat
    Paula's House Seasoning: Mix together 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup pepper, and 1/4 cup garlic powder.
    Sliced bacon

Pattie out as many steaks as needed and season with house seasoning. Wrap bacon around patties and grill or bake in oven.
    You can serve them with baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
    Add a veggie or salad and some dinner rolls.
    Yum!
    I also make chili and spaghetti and we always have great leftovers.
    My mom made us a wonderful beef stew the other day and you can use cheaper cuts of meat and they will tenderize and fall to pieces in the crock pot. Just add some frozen or can veggies, can tomatoes, and can potatoes at the end. I season mine with some worchestershire sauce, garlic, pepper, and other asst. seasonings. I also added a little ketchup or you can add tomato paste or sauce to help stretch the soup.
    Hope this helps!

I visited allrecipes.com last night and found that part where some of you suggested typing in ingredients you have to come up with recipes and I found some great and inexpensive recipes. Thanks!

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to saunders97 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

With the Poor Mans Mignon, we use to make something similar called a poor mans fillet just the same as above except we would add some cubes of pepper jack cheese in the middle. The leaner the meat the better it tastes.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast