Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Fly trap

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Simple Fly trap

Take a wide mouth jar, like a canning jar or empty mayonnaise container, and place a piece of bait such as a piece of bread, fruit or any solid sugary substance in it. Then insert a funnel into the top of the jar.

Then place a couple of pieces of wood or something to elevate the jar on the counter. Now turn the jar with the funnel upside down and set it on whatever you are using to elevate it.

The flies will be drawn into the jar because of the bait but will not be able to find their way out. Then to get rid of the flies, simply turn the jar right side up and fill it with water through the funnel.

My mom showed me this when I was a kid, thought it was fun to do cause you will catch other critters too.

Lynn

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've used this upright for years to collect gnats-- never dawned on me to turn the thing upside down! Will look forward to trying it!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know it will work, I cant stand those knats!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if I understand this...How do the flies get in? Please try to explain again, sounds like a great idea if I could understand it. Thanks.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a banana peel for my gnat trap and tape the funnel on. What she is saying after you bait the trap and put your funnel on, turn it upside down. But you have to put it on something so the flies can crawl up into the funnel and into the jar. I'm wondering if after I duct tape my funnel on like I've always done, maybe I could hang it up because the funnel is secured and won't come off.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

the peice of wood is under the jar that is upside down. The peice of wood elevates it amd the fruit or sugar stuff is in the jar... hope this helps some!!

Lynn

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I don't want to sound stupid here, but I am having trouble visualizing this. I guess I am a visual learner. So I take a clean mayo jar and I put a funnel into it as if I am pouring something into it. I turn it upside down and elevate it perhaps on a wood block or two and leave a space not to completely block the hole in the funnel... Am I correct? If so, I am going to try this. Thanks again.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcove2000 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

YES!! Thats it!! Awesome!! remember to put something inside to attract those pesky critters...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast