Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question HELP need gift ideas

ok here is the situation. I have four children ages 17, 15, 14 and 3 along with other family members to buy for. My boyfriends mom likes the expensive stuff so he has told me I can not just make stuff for her. I say she will get over it but he is not taking that answer. I need cheap but nice ideas for gifts. Also we are at a loss for what to get the kids of course the teens all want things like ipods etc if they give me any ideas at all. HELP we are really strapped for cash this season and with having to do the meal etc since his mom is not going to be in town this year isnt helping.
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh yeah the 17 and 15 year old are boys. 14 and 3 year old girls
    Mdowdy

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any Outlet stores near you? They often have really cheap stuff. Bath & Body Works had stuff that was 75% & even 90% off! You could make you mother-in-law a basket with stuff from Bath & Body Works, Victoria Secret Fragrances, Origins, etc. You can get some good stuff for just a few dollars on the clearance shelves. (She will see the "Expensive Names" on the tags, but she doesn't need to know how much you paid. You could also go to a Candleman or other candle store & buy some candles on sale. Make her sort of a "Spa Basket" - lotions, soaps, candles, nail polish, maybe a CD of classical or instrumental music also (on sale of course!)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I forgot to add, you can also find great stuff on clearance at the regular stores. It doesn't necessarily have to be an outlet store. Its just that the Outlets have more cheap stuff to choose from. I hope this helps!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as the girls go, you could make the 14 year old a gift basket with that stuff in it too maybe?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am making a gift baskets with the "female needs and wants" for my daughters that are 15 and 20 and then my son I am getting him a few braille books, but I am not sure if that idea will help....
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

First, I would put my foot down with the boyfriend, Xmas is for the children. What we starting doing in our house a few years ago, is stockings for grandparents, much less expensive but a nice way to add those little personal touches, those little things that mean so much. Or, one year we got the kids pictures taken and just got some inexpensive frames and gave teh grandparents pictures.Then I would talk with the older children and be upfront with them, these are difficult times. Yes you want them to have a nice Christmas but big ticket items are just not possible. As our kids got older, or should I say realized Santa was Mom and Dad, we would let them know there was a budget. We would ask them for a "wish list". Letting them know that not everything on that list would be showing up on Christmas morning. They had a rating system, they came up with it on their own, that they exlained to us!!! Three stars meant they really really wanted it, two meant they would love it, one they liked it. Our son wanted an Ipod, the first year they came out and of course it was on the list with the three stars. I jokingly asked him if we were allowed to make subsitutions, he surprisingly said "yeah Ma, I know they're really expensive". Another year it was different though, he wanted a PS2, he knew if he got that, there would be very little else and he was ok with that.

It was quite interesting to see them sitting on the floor together Thanksgiving afternoon with all the flyers, paper and pencil in hand. They looked like little accountants. They would put something on their list then they would total their stuff up, then you'd see them rearrange their stars. Believe me, they start to realize how quickly it adds up for Mom and Dad. You just have to be open with them. So many parents don't let their kids know, "this is how it is", the kids ask and it magically appears, the children learn nothing from that. I think Christmas is a perfect time to teach older children how much all those sparkly things they love really cost.

Sorry for preachin!
    Kris

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

NC_Mom: I am glad I was not the only one thinking that the spirit of Christmas is missing here.

MDowdy please don't take this wrong this is just what I do at my house for Christmas. We always start with the children 10 and under (because the still believe completely in Santa). Then we go to the great grandmothers-because they will not be around much longer to share the love with. Then we start on our own children. Only then will I go to our parents, then on to brothers, sisters, and the older neices and nephews.

Christmas is not suppose to be about the gifts except for the gift of time and the sharing of love. The way the economy is today, you have to save money to survive not spend it on a gift. I would say let the boyfriend by for the mom-but then there goes all that money because he would probably by her something expensive. Depending on the relationship you have with the mom, maybe you could talk with her and see how she feels about you making her a present-some people do consider this priceless.

Again, I don't mean to offend just offering some suggestions

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast