Thread: Hi!

Ground Level Lurker
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hi!

I joined this forum last night (really late). I did a lot of browsing and have learned so much in just a few hours. I'm 27 years old and currently 7 months pregnant with my first child. I joined because I have no financial or budgeting skills what-so-ever, and I'd like to change that considering I have a child on the way and I'm pretty much a step away from being homeless. Yes, I should have thought about this stuff years ago, but at least I'm trying now. The last thing I want is to have my child taken away from me because I can't afford to take care of him. He may not have the best things in life, but he'll have what he needs and that's what is important.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikononeikan For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the site. Hope you find many useful items to help you. Congratulations on the baby. The most important thing a baby needs is pure love, and it sounds like you have that to give . I look forward to your posts. If you need help just ask. We are all trying to survive in a hard economy and can help in some small with. We have been in your shoes.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    NE Fort Bend County, TX - Sugar Land Mailing address
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! congrats on the baby. The first thing to do is to figure out what you are currently spending and adapt that. The hard part is making choices of whether you "need" or "want" something. You may want McDonalds, but can substitute a homemade hamburger and be just as full. The main difference between those two is the cost. There are a lot of ways to cut a budget. Substituting sodas for iced tea for instance. Cooking chicken instead of buying takeout chicken. Making homemade french fries. Using bisquick to make biscuits instead of canned biscuits. Start small, and work up to full-fledged frugalness. It's kind of a game as well as a necessity.

Blessings,
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by mikononeikan View Post
    I joined this forum last night (really late). I did a lot of browsing and have learned so much in just a few hours. I'm 27 years old and currently 7 months pregnant with my first child. I joined because I have no financial or budgeting skills what-so-ever, and I'd like to change that considering I have a child on the way and I'm pretty much a step away from being homeless. Yes, I should have thought about this stuff years ago, but at least I'm trying now. The last thing I want is to have my child taken away from me because I can't afford to take care of him. He may not have the best things in life, but he'll have what he needs and that's what is important.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to janetaba For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mikononeikan,

Welcome to the site. Yes you have come to the right spot to learn financial skills and budgeting skills.

Congrats on the baby.

With you reaching out into this site, and with Janet's and Kim's advice you are certainly heading in the right directions. Just remember if you have any questions ASK. There is always someone here that can help in some way. This is a very friendly group. We are here to help each other. Hope to see you arouund the site.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Keep on keepin on~
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome! Congrats on the baby. There are wonderful ladies here that are encouraging and supportive! You have taken the first step in helping you budget and controlling money better by coming here. Again, welcome!
    ~True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable~~Sharon in Va.~

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blndemom23 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations on the beautiful baby!!! You will find some great freebies here!!! Welcome aboard - these are a great bunch of friends here!!! Look forward to your posts!!!

God Bless!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congarts on your baby and joining the group. I agree with all of the above comments.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome & congrats on the baby! You won't be sorry that you've started to economize! It really does become a fun game (seeing how much money you can save). My suggestion would be... COUPONS COUPONS COUPONS!!! You won't believe how much money they can save you. If you use them wisely, you can cut your grocery bill in half (and many times even spend less that you save!). I won't give you my whole "coupon lesson" right here on this thread, but just send me a PM if you'd like some coupon advice. The best part of coupon shopping: I get lots of stuff fo free!!! Enjoy the site!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post: