Buy foods for storage on $5 a week

You will end up with: Week 1 : 6 lbs. salt Week 2 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat Week 6 : 6 lbs. macaroni Week 7 : 20 lbs. sugar Week 8 : 8 cans tuna

big, boxes, buy, christmas, craft, eve, food, frugal, hat, hey, hot, house, kitchen, mom, space, star, storage, store, wall, wheat, week, cans, soup, sugar, cream, milk, macaroni, tomato, powdered, chicken, bottle, tuna, cheese, people, multi-vitamins, mushroom, honey, change, salt, weeks, bounce, save, exceed, kitty, leftover, family, triple, double, amount, item

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Buy foods for storage on $5 a week

You will end up with:

Week 1 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 2 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar
    Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 6 : 6 lbs. macaroni
    Week 7 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 8 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 9 : 6 lbs. yeast
    Week 10 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 11 : 8 cans tomato
    Week 12 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 13 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 14 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 15 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 16 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 17 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 18 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 19 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup
    Week 20 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 21 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 22 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 23 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 24 : 6 lbs. shortening
    Week 25 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 26 : 5 lbs. honey
    Week 27 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 28 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 29 : 5 lbs. peanut butter
    Week 30 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 31 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 32 : 10 lbs. powdered milk
    Week 33 : 1 bottle 500 aspirin
    Week 34 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 35 : 50 lbs wheat
    Week 36 : 7 boxes macaroni and cheese
    Week 37 : 6 lbs. salt
    Week 38 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 39 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 40 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 41 : 5 cans cream of chicken soup
    Week 42 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 43 : 1 bottle 500 multi-vitamins
    Week 44 : 8 cans tuna
    Week 45 : 50 lbs. wheat
    Week 46 : 6 lbs. macaroni
    Week 47 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 48 : 5 cans cream of mushroom soup

Week 49 : 5 lbs. honey
    Week 50 : 20 lbs. sugar
    Week 51 : 8 cans tomato soup
    Week 52 : 50 lbs. wheat

Some weeks you will have
    leftover change. Save the change
    each week in a kitty to be used
    for the weeks you may exceed
    $5.00 (for example, as when
    purchasing wheat or milk).

This should be enough to sustain
    2 people for 1 year. For every 2
    people in your family, add $5
    more and double or triple the
    amount of the item you are buying
    for that week.

Last edited by faxonfive; 10-27-2008 at 04:02 AM.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Smart Budgeter
    NE Fort Bend County, TX - Sugar Land Mailing address
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where would you buy wheat? While being frugal - I'm not sure I even have that much space to store all that food (sure wish I did!)

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to janetaba For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I buy the wheat at the food lion in our area, they started carrying it a couple months ago. I had a walk in closet, I didnt need that much room, and the way it was positioned it was just off the the side of the kitchen. So I had my hsband remove part of the wall and reconstuct part of the closet to make a pantry. I had an additional pantry on the other side of my kitchen, so this gave me a little extra room. My friends call me a
    food-horder. I hope this helps you some.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this all you buy each week or in addition to a regular list? I take it you grind the wheat to make your own flour? If so, what do you use to grind the wheat? Do you go to warehouse clubs to buy the bulk items? You mentioned storing the food in an extra closet/pantry that you have, but how do you store it to keep insects and critters from getting any ideas?

This is a great idea, but I think most of us would probably have to modify it a bit to fit our own lifestyles. Thanks for the ideas.

Debbie

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dyankee1995 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Debbie
    I agree if I was to make a few adjustments to the items we prefer it is a great way to stockpile. I am curious now to see if I go to the store and focus on one or two items, what I can end up having for $5.00.
    Thanks,

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    NE Fort Bend County, TX - Sugar Land Mailing address
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am sooooo envious of your adapted closet. Unfortunately, I don't have one that big, with the exception of our bedroom closet, and that's full of clothes. The other closets are much smaller and full of storage boxes (our son's stuff - he's in the Army and still living in the barracks). The attic is too hot to store his stuff, so it occupies his old closet. My only other closet is full of craft stuff from my mom's house when she died, and I'm using it up very slowly, making Christmas presents. Eventually it will be gone, but it'll be awhile. Dear hubby just calls me a packrat, but then I have things when I need them. I give things away when I no longer have a use for them, and try to find them good homes.

Quote Originally Posted by faxonfive View Post
    I buy the wheat at the food lion in our area, they started carrying it a couple months ago. I had a walk in closet, I didnt need that much room, and the way it was positioned it was just off the the side of the kitchen. So I had my hsband remove part of the wall and reconstuct part of the closet to make a pantry. I had an additional pantry on the other side of my kitchen, so this gave me a little extra room. My friends call me a
    food-horder. I hope this helps you some.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to janetaba For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a little confused with your listing. You mentioned:
    "Week 3 : 20 lbs. of sugar 500 pounds of wheat
    Week 4 : 8 cans tomato soup 180 pounds of sugar
    Week 5 : 50 lbs wheat 40 pounds of powdered milk"
    I can't imagine getting 20 lbs of sugar for $5 less alone 500 lb. of wheat also! I can get 25 lbs of sugar for $10.50 and I get 50lb bags of Hard red wheat for $5 each from my neighbor but how in the world do you get both for $5 that week? Where can you get 40 lb of powered milk for $5 I get 25 lb bags for $50. How do you store it? I have to seal mine into #10 cans due to our very high humidity and lots of varmints that would move in and eat us out of house and home if they could get to it! I got lots of food stacked in my very dry basement that I rotate through but I sure can't get it for $5 a week! Hope you can explain how you do so I can too!

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to confuse you all ... I get 5 lb bags of sugar at a food closet close to where I live for .50 cents a bag. I then have a grinder that I grind the wheat with. I have a couple friends who are big budgeters like me and we "go-intogether" with and purchase some of the items - like the wheat, powdered milk, honey, etc. I have a "seal-a-meal" that I seal almost everything....I put alot of moth balls around the pantry and I not only seal alot of my items, I also store them in airtight containers that I mark with important dates. I have a two chest freezers so I sometimes freeze things that I will worry about, but for the most part I do my usual sealing. We then calculate it to accomodate our budget. We also have been know to purchase a side of beef and split it and a whole pig at the local slaughter house, This helps our budget ALOT!! I hope I was able to clear this up some...sorry again for the confusion....thanks for being patient!!!

God Bless!!!

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast