Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Has anyone ever ground their own turkey meat ???

I am new to the site and am very interested in saving money !!!! I hope to get as good as you all are one day !!!!
    I am very interested in grinding my own meat. It seems to me a wonderful way to save money. The only kind of meat we ever use is ground turkey. So my question is any tips ??? And how many pounds of ground meat does say a 20 pound turkey render ??? Thanks All !!!

Mandy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to incheck4real For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't actually weighed when I have ground turkey. It does save a lot of money especially when you can get the turkey at a really low price. I eyeball how much looks like a pound to bag up when I ground. I can get about fifteen bags out of a 20 pound turkey-but again, I don't actually weigh it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to the site.

I usually get about 10 -12 ,one # bags of turkey doing this. Waiting until the turkey is on sale-- I pick up extra. Then I'm cooking turkeys all weekend long. It is a great savings doing it this way. I'll have to go to my recipes and post some turkey recipe I use here at the house.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

JoAnn do post some turkey recipes please. I usually use it in place of pork, but it would be nice to use it in different ways especially with the prices soon to get really good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I'm Pat, from Portugal. Been a lurker most of the time, but I thought I post with my two cents (Is this the expression?). I never ground turkey, but I ground chicken. As for the weight, I cannot say, because we use kilograms, but It seems to me that chicken reduces a bit, at least when you look at it the first time. I did this to make hamburguers, as i seldom eat pork or beef, and I believe that 2 chicken breasts gave 5 hamburguers with 2 cm height, and 5 cm wide. I'm not sure how to make the conversions, but I believe 1 inch is 2 cm approx. By the way the hamburguers were great. Just grind the meat, mix with flour and egg until it reaches a moldable consistency, season with salt and pepper, and if you want you can add chopped olives and mushrooms. Form patties and grill them. Yummy.

PS: Sorry for the confusing English

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patycapereira For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

patycapereira- you did a great job with the conversions. Thank you for posting. Look forward to your future postings.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pat, You did a really fine job with this recipe. Would love to see you post more to the boards.Thank-You. Everyone here helps everyone out. HOPE TO SEE YOU HERE MORE OFTEN.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post: