navy bean recipe?

navy bean recipe?

Hello there. :smt003 Im new to the boards, and I have to say I am SO glad I found this forum! I have a question..... I was going through my cupboards doing my monthly menu.... and I have a bag of Navy Beans I got for 20Cents... and I have NO clue on what to do with them. I have looked

beans, beef, bite, cheese, cooking, cream, crockpot, day, easy, hat, hey, hot, leftover, lunch, pinch, recipes, rinse, salt, sour, water, ideas, navy, meal, make, cheap, ingredients, delicious, advance, forward, helpful, spam-, allergic, likes, fish-, glad, found, question, forum, boards, recipe, bean, smt003, clue, 20cents, online, looked, cupboards, monthly, menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default navy bean recipe?

Hello there. :smt003

Im new to the boards, and I have to say I am SO glad I found this forum!

I have a question..... I was going through my cupboards doing my monthly menu.... and I have a bag of Navy Beans I got for 20Cents... and I have NO clue on what to do with them.

I have looked online for recipes, and they just seem to need a lot of ingredients. Im looking for a delicious, easy CHEAP, meal to make with them.

any ideas?

No fish- allergic
    no spam- no one in my fam likes it.

any ideas would be helpful. Thanks so much in advance, and Im looking forward to getting to know everyone!
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to naturalmommy For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't cook navy beans. Sorry that I can't help you with recipes for them.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Needlepoint142 For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Navy Bean recipe

I use leftover sauce from cans of Pork and Beans or Ranch Style Beans. It's almost free. Keep in Freezer in container. When you have enough for a batch, soak beans overnight, drain water, rinse, boil with a pinch of baking soda, drain this water, then simmer with the leftover sauce until tender. Better yet, cook in a crockpot all day on low. You can also add these to any soup once they are cooked. An easy way to make leftover stew is to accumulate leftovers "too small to save" in another freezer container until full. Add beans to these for Surprise soup. I also use them in a simple soup using water, canned spinach (drained), macaroni, and stewed tomatoes, either canned or fresh. Flavoring is easy, I always add a bay leaf or two, salt, pepper.

If all else fails, puree them and add to make "faux" cream soups.

-Garilynn

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to garilynn For This Useful Post:

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gar- that sounds YUMMY!

One of my favorite easy recipes with navies is refried beans. Soak them overnight, then drain them, rinse them, and add some water to the bottom, cook them in your crockpot all day with a good pinch of salt, pepper and a T of crisco or fat. After they are well done, mash them, add in cayenne pepper to your liking.

This is great because you can use them to make beef and bean burritos, nachos with beans, cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc

One of my favorite dishes is to chop fresh greens, add a scoop of hot refried beans, a few bite size chunks of leftover grilled chix, a little bit of cheese on top, some chopped avocado or salsa. This makes an excellent lunch or dinner.

Happy Cooking!
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FreebieQueen For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Navy Bean Recipes

Great buy on the navy beans ... they're even cheap when they are not on sale. And there are a ton of things you can do with them. Boston Baked Beans. Bean Soups. Bean Salad.

Here's a couple of my favorite recipes

Tomato and Navy Bean Soup

1 c dried navy beans
    Water to cover

Soak beans overnight. Drain.

4 c water
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp dried sage

Add to stock pot, cover tightly and cook over low to medium heat for an hour.

2 tbsp (olive) oil
    3 cloves garlic (minced)
    1 chopped cooking onion

Saute.

Add cooked onions to soup pot and add:

1/2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp clove
    1 lg can tomatoes (pint or more)
    salt and pepper to taste

Simmer for another hour. Serve with some nice crusty bread and a salad for an awsome filling dinner for 4. The bread and salad probably puts you closer to $5 in total unless you are growing your own lettuce, canning your tomatoes and baking your own bread.

(Modified from a Taste of Heaven and Earth)

Baked Beans

2 lbs dried navy beans
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 medium onion (chopped)
    1/2 lb bacon (chopped)
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1/2 - 2/3 c molasses
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp salt

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, pour off the soaking water and parboil beans with bakins soda until the skins crack when blown upon.
    Cut onion in quarters an put in the bottom of a crock pot. Add beans and bacon. Mix brown sugar, molasses, mustard and salt with 2 c. water.

Cover the crock pot and turn it on. Go to work. It'll be done when you get home.

Alternatively, you can bake it in a 300F oven for 6 hours ... I think the crock pot is more energy efficient.

This recipe is huge ... cutting it in half will be fine for a dinner for 4 ... but it freezes well, too. And you can throw a cup of baked beans into any vegetable soup to make it a bit more hearty.

Adaped from the Tightwad Gazette

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kll For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

soak beans as per directions on bag

then put beans and water in crockpot per directions on bag
    add 1/4 cup or more per your taste bacon bits
    1 chopped onion
    salt and pepper to your taste

cook on low until liquid thickens

you may need to add water as this cooks

cook up some cornbread

diner is served, bean soup and cornbread

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to memapg For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart

My dh and I love dry beans. I soak mine overnight, put in crockpot with dried onions, and anything else I see fit. When I serve them, it's with rice, hot peppers, onions, salsa, and cornbread. Or if my dh finds something else he had rather have. It's great and inexpensive. Yummy!!! Have a blessed all!!

Hugs,
    Syndy

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nana106 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good old fashioned Navy Beans and Ham...yummm. Wash, sort beans, toss into the crockpot, add about an inch or even 2 of water, one whole diced onion, 1 bay leaf, celery if you happen to have it, 1 minced clove of garlic, pepper, and a nice leftover ham bone, or diced ham, or even ham hocks. You can buy these at the grocery store, usually in the freezer section, and they usually come in packages of 2 or 3. One is enough to flavor the entire pot. Freeze the rest for later use. You can also use pieces of bacon, or salt pork. This is very good with cornbread. We have these a lot.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mardhines For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast