navy bean recipe?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      naturalmommy

Hello there. :smt003

Im new to the boards, and I have to say I am SO glad I found this forum!

I have a question….. I was going through my cupboards doing my monthly menu…. and I have a bag of Navy Beans I got for 20Cents…

and I have no clue on what to do with them.

i have looked online for recipes, and they just seem to need a lot of ingredients. im looking for a delicious, easy cheap, meal to make with them.

any ideas?

no fish- allergic
      no spam- no one in my fam likes it.

any ideas would be helpful. thanks so much in advance, and im looking forward to getting to know everyone!

memapg

soak beans as per directions on bag

then put beans and water in crockpot per directions on bag
      add 1/4 cup or more per your taste bacon bits
      1 chopped onion
      salt and pepper to your taste

cook on low until liquid thickens

you may need to add water as this cooks

cook up some cornbread

diner is served, bean soup and cornbread

Nana106

My dh and I love dry beans. I soak mine overnight, put in crockpot with dried onions, and anything else I see fit. When I serve them, it’s with rice, hot peppers, onions, salsa, and cornbread.

Or if my dh finds something else he had rather have. It’s great and inexpensive. Yummy!!!

Have a blessed all!!

Hugs,
      Syndy
      :occasion16:

mardhines

Good old fashioned Navy Beans and Ham…yummm. Wash, sort beans, toss into the crockpot, add about an inch or even 2 of water, one whole diced onion, 1 bay leaf, celery if you happen to have it, 1 minced clove of garlic, pepper, and a nice leftover ham bone, or diced ham, or even ham hocks. You can buy these at the grocery store, usually in the freezer section, and they usually come in packages of 2 or 3.

One is enough to flavor the entire pot. Freeze the rest for later use. You can also use pieces of bacon, or salt pork.

This is very good with cornbread. We have these a lot.

mardhines

add about an inch or even 2 of water I meant to say….. add an inch or 2 of water over the top of the beans, making sure they are well covered, as beans double and sometimes triple in bulk when cooking.

suey

Good old fashioned baked beans. I use a pork hock and remove bone and fat half way through.
      Sue

brchbell

We eat lots of beans and usually start by soaking overnight and then draining of the water and putting them in a heavy pot or usually the crockpot with some onion powder and a ham hock or bacon pieces and cover with water and let it cook. Serve with cornbread or fresh buns and pan fired potatoes.

naturalmommy

My goodness!!!!

Thank you all for the wonderful Ideas! Im so sorry I havent been on since Nov of 07! (just 4 months after my youngest was born)

I still need these Ideas, so I will keep these in mind to use them!

Im looking forward to being much more active, now.

mamalv

I’m new to the site so I hope you all don’t mind me just jumping in. I’ve got some recipes here for navy beans that you may be able to use

Navy Bean Soup
      prep time: 1 1/2 Hours
      SERVES: 8

COMMENT:
      Nothing is healthier or more comforting than a navy bean soup when prepared with lean ham rather than a fat ham hock or sausage. This light recipe has less sodium and is perfect for a cold January night.

* 1 pound dried navy beans
      * 1 cup onions, diced
      * 1/2 cup celery, diced
      * 1 cup tomatoes, diced
      * 1 cup potatoes, diced
      * 1 cup cabbage, chopped
      * 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
      * 2 cups lean ham, diced
      * 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
      * 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
      * 1/4 tsp salt
      * black pepper to taste
      * hot sauce to taste

METHOD:
      Rinse the beans under cold running water. You may wish to soak the beans in cold water overnight to cut the cooking time by one-third. Place the beans in a large cast iron Dutch oven and cover by 2 inches with cold water.

Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook approximately 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add onions, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, macaroni and ham.

Blend well into the bean mixture and cook 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add water to retain desired consistency. Add green onions and parsley.

Season to taste using salt, pepper and hot sauce. NOTE: When stirring beans during the cooking process, mash approximately half of the beans by pressing the cooking spoon against the inside of the pot. This will give the navy bean soup a creamy consistency.

Tasty Italian Chili
      1/2 – 1 lb of hamburger meat
      1 T Italian seasoning
      1 T garlic powder
      2 T of chili powder
      1/2 t of ground sage (only if you use hamburger and not Italian sausage)
      1 can of diced tomatoes (whole are cheaper and you can cut them yourself)
      1 can of navy beans
      1 1/2 cups dry noodles (I use the rotini or bowtie)
      2 cups of beef broth (I use three cubes and 2 cups of water)
      1/2 red bell pepper
      1 small jalapeno pepper
      1/2 small onion
      Salt and Pepper to taste

Place everything in a large pot including raw meat. Cook on low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Serve topped with cheese (your choice) and hot french bread feeds about 6 to 8 people.

In the restaurant they put Italian sausage but its a bit more expensive so I just use hamburger. Also they do not add noodles but it makes it stretch further if you add it. Hope that you enjoy it a real feeling soup and cost efficient.

You may have to add more liquid depends on your taste if you like thick or watery soups.

Another 2 Treats
      Drained canned tuna, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, onion, add cooked cannellini beans,or navy beans, add homemade balsmaic vinegar and olive oil salad dressing and it’s outstanding! Add a hard boiled egg if you want.

#2.Thaw and drain frozen chopped spinach by pressing all the water out. Remember, this is “chopped” spinach. Smash a couple (to your taste)cloves of garlic in a pan with olive oil, gently heat for about three to five minutes on medium/high heat, until the garlic is infusing the oil with flavor, add the drained spinach to the hot garlic/oil, and mix it around to heat it evenly.

Don’t scorch garlic or spinach! Lower the heat if you need to. Takes about three minutes.

Add cooked, drained navy beans or cannellini beans, again to suit your taste, put salt, pepper and a little garlic powder, (if you like garlic.) stir it all around until combined.

Cover it, turn off the heat, and remove it from the stove. Let it sit for a couple of minutes still covered to heat the beans. I might now add cherry tomatoes, and I always add grated Romano cheese.

Outstanding.

Source: jfolse.com

white bean, garlic and sage soup

1 lb. dry Great Northern or navy beans
      1 c. chopped onion
      1 T.

olive oil
      2 T. bottled minced garlic or 12 cloves minced
      4 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
      2 T.

snipped fresh sage
      1/2 t. coarse ground black pepper
      Salt

Rinse and pick through beans; place in Dutch oven with 8 c. water; bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour or place beans in a Dutch oven with water; cover and let stand overnight.

Drain and rinse beans; set aside.

Using same Dutch oven, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender; add garlic, cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans a broth; bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in sage and pepper; season to taste with salt.

Source: FoodPals.com
      I hope these help

mamalv

I’m new to the site so I hope you all don’t mind me just jumping in. I’ve got some recipes here for navy beans that you may be able to use

Navy Bean Soup
      prep time: 1 1/2 Hours
      SERVES: 8

COMMENT:
      Nothing is healthier or more comforting than a navy bean soup when prepared with lean ham rather than a fat ham hock or sausage. This light recipe has less sodium and is perfect for a cold January night.

* 1 pound dried navy beans
      * 1 cup onions, diced
      * 1/2 cup celery, diced
      * 1 cup tomatoes, diced
      * 1 cup potatoes, diced
      * 1 cup cabbage, chopped
      * 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
      * 2 cups lean ham, diced
      * 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
      * 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
      * 1/4 tsp salt
      * black pepper to taste
      * hot sauce to taste

METHOD:
      Rinse the beans under cold running water. You may wish to soak the beans in cold water overnight to cut the cooking time by one-third. Place the beans in a large cast iron Dutch oven and cover by 2 inches with cold water.

Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook approximately 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add onions, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, macaroni and ham.

Blend well into the bean mixture and cook 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to add water to retain desired consistency. Add green onions and parsley.

Season to taste using salt, pepper and hot sauce. NOTE: When stirring beans during the cooking process, mash approximately half of the beans by pressing the cooking spoon against the inside of the pot. This will give the navy bean soup a creamy consistency.

source: jfolse.com

naturalmommy

thanks so much!!!! I always love new ideas and recipes.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.