Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A tip regarding your cloths dryer

The heating unit went out on my dryer about 4 months back - The repairman I called told us that he wanted to show us something and he went over to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. (I always clean the lint from the filtr after every load clothes.) He told us that he wanted to show us something; he took the filter over to the sink and ran hot water over it. The lint filter is made of a mesh material ... I'm sure you know what your dryer's lint filter looks like. Well .. the hot water just sat on top of the mesh! It didn't go through it at all! He told us that dryer sheets cause a film over that mesh that's what burns out the heating unit.You can't SEE the film, but it's there. It's what is in the dryer sheets to make your clothes soft and static free ... that nice fragrance too. You know how they can feel
    waxy when you take them out of the box .. well this stuff builds up on your clothes and on your lint screen. This is also what causes dryer units to potentially burn your house down with it! He said the best way to keep your dryer working for a very long time (and to keep your electric bill lower) is to take that filter out and wash it with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush (or other brush) at least every six months.He said that makes the life of the dryer at least twice as long! How about that!?! Learn something new everyday! I certainly didn't know dryer sheets would do that. So, I thought I'd share! Later I went to my dryer and tested my screen by running water on it. The water ran through a little bit but mostly collected all the water in the mesh screen. I washed it with warm soapy water and a nylon brush and I had it done in 30 seconds. Then whenI rinsed it ... the water ran right thru the screen! There wasn't any puddling at all! That repairman knew what he was talking about!

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Going to check mine right now!!!! Thanx a bunch!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok just got done checkin my lint thingy! All I can say is HOLY COW!!! Ran it under the water and I would say close to half a cup or more of water pooled up on it. That was amazing to me, this dryer is only approx. 15 months old so I can imagine how bad my old one was!!! Cleaned up with warm soapy water and rinsed it and the water ran right through!!!! Amazing! Plan on doing this atleast once a month from now on!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your welcome!! I am glad it helped!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. This is absolutely true. My father-in-law is an electrician & he told me this a while back.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW! I am going to try that tomm. before I even put the clothes in the dryer. Maybe that will also help on putting the clothes on such a high temp. setting as well. So that way it can save on power, esepcially for me as My State Power Comp. got the ok, to raise our power another 8% again. Geesh! Thanks for the tip!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cnique26 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah its that time of year again when the electric companies are going to make bundles of money!!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Just another update. Since washing out my "lint thingy" on Friday I've done 4 loads of laundry. 1 whites, 1 towels, 2colors (large loads). I have a newer dryer with an "energy saver" setting and each time I usually do a load of laundry I turn the dial to the energy saver setting and it goes the full cycle. Well, let me tell you something AMAZING, after I cleaned the thingy and put in my first load, I put it on the same ol' setting, went downstairs maybe 15 minutes later and the whole load was dry!!! I didn't touch the dial the entire weekend, wanted to see exactly how long it would go after the "cleaning". Well I am happy to say that it lasted through all four loads of laundry!!! That is truly amazing. I am still shocked as to how something so simple that took less than 10 minutes of my time could save me that much off my drying time. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NC_mom For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast