Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Info About this Forum & Abbreviations Explained

This forum was created for members to share their recipes and ideas for those with various dietary concerns.

Prefixes are required on Posts in this forum so that people can quickly search for all the latest posts using 1 keyword.

? - this is the prefix to use if you have a question you need an answer to, or are looking for a bit of help.

G.E.R.D. - Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease, also known as Acid Reflux, also known as Barrett's, etc. This is for recipes that are low in acid or high alkaline.

Gluten-Free- recipes that don't contain Gluten

IBS- Provides low-fat, dairy-free, and soluble fiber recipes to address diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

Lactose-Free - recipes that don't contain lactose

Liquid - for recipes that must be completely liquid due to surgery

Soft-Food - recipes for those on a soft food or liquid diet. For example, post-surgery, dental issues such as braces or bad teeth, etc

WeightWatchers- self explanatory, please try to include as much dietary info about the recipe as possible

Wheat Free- recipes that don't contain wheat

Yeast Free - recipes that don't contain Yeast

Other- Well, this is because I know I am leaving Something out, so now you have a place to put it

Also, if you think of something that I should add to this forum, hit reply and let me know!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Liss For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for add this section. It will really come in handy for me with one having his tonsils out.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please add Low Sodium as a forum topic! Recipes are badly needed! So many people have high blood pressure (DH) or heart problems (me) and the docs are after absolutely everyone to lower the amount of salt in their food, even children, to help prevent problems later in life. I am willing & anxious to can, freeze, cook fresh, or make jar mixes for meals; for two especially. Wal-Mart & others are carrying more and more low sodium things like broth, diced canned tomatoes and some other basic ingredients and I find others at a local health food market such as canned kidney beans. Even Lay's has come out with half the sodium potato chips and hopefully others will make an effort to offer us a healthier choice. High sodium content in canned, frozen or restaurant foods probably causes more health problems than any other ingredient. By continuing to use those foods we set our children up for health issues, and even children can have blood pressure that is way too high for them.

There is more fat and sodium in the recipes on these forums than anybody should have! Let's get healthy, not just full!
    Last edited by Momo; 12-20-2008 at 09:01 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is more fat and sodium in the recipes on these forums than anybody should have! Let's get healthy, not just full!
    I think some of the recipes (especially of late) are geared more to towards the holidays.

One thing I have done to cut the fat in the foods I make is to use applesauce or plain yogurt in place of have of the fat called for. I have been cutting out the salt in the foods and using more herbs to spice along with powders. It is amazing to actually taste food without the salt.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lowering the sodium in any recipe is easy with Morton's salt substitute and the Mrs. Dash products. We don't miss any flavor, but our cardiologist is happy with the results! I'd still like to find more recipes, though, for things to make from scratch.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Momo For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About this Forum & Abbreviations Explained

LOL, Leave it to me to be the oddball in the bunch but..... I need recipes that are high in protein, calories and fat. My daughter (11 years old) is Failure To Thrive and we are trying desperately to increase her weight. I know some tips such as adding dry milk powder to things, adding butter to things etc. but I'm not much of a cook to be honest and I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas that she will like. She doesn't eat beans at all which really makes it hard to be frugal and cut down on meat. Any help would be wonderful!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Re: About this Forum & Abbreviations Explained

Quote Originally Posted by tspinks View Post
    LOL, Leave it to me to be the oddball in the bunch but..... I need recipes that are high in protein, calories and fat. My daughter (11 years old) is Failure To Thrive and we are trying desperately to increase her weight. I know some tips such as adding dry milk powder to things, adding butter to things etc. but I'm not much of a cook to be honest and I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas that she will like. She doesn't eat beans at all which really makes it hard to be frugal and cut down on meat. Any help would be wonderful!
    at her age, failure to thrive is usually not due to a physical condition. is there a diagnosis for the underlying condition? The reason that I ask is that I've had a child that had failure to thrive because of really severe allergies, and knowing the medical condition helps plan. I'll be glad to help you any way I can.