Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What I do to save money

I have placed myself on a budget. I set a mark for how much I will spend monthly on food, clothing, utilities and transportation. This is crucial because that glamorous budget that was once available no longer exists. Now that I no longer have that luxury, it is important for I to sit down and honestly look at my budget.

I Use coupons. Coupons can really come in handy and save you money. Look for them in the weekend paper or some other circular. Just remember to buy what you need and not what you want. You may receive a few cents off, but you are still paying for that item.

GI go rid of the junk (the junk food that is). Buying junk foods can really add up after a while. Try to purchase foods that are not only healthy, but can make additional meals. You will save money and make yourself that much healthier.

Buy what I need only. Do not purchase what you want or what you wish you could have. Only buy what you need. This will help your money stretch and add a little more to your banking account.

Buy generic medicine. We know that Tylenol can do the job but so can another version. Believe it or not, generic medication can work just as good as the leading brand. They are also more affordable. You'll be amazed at how much you can save just by switching to generic.

Consider store name or no name brands. No name toilet paper does the same kind of work as a leading brand. The same goes for diapers. Look at items that are not as popular. They will do the same job but at a lesser price.

AND last but certainly not least - I joined budget101 - this site has really helped me and my budget.

Thanks Liss!!!

God Bless!!

Lynn

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lynn,
    I believe you have said things very well here. And I really do agree with you. You are not paddling this boat alone, many out here in the same boat. Keep up the good work. It does pay off.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

There was a time when we didnt really care what we spent - my husband and I just had FUN!! But that was 20 years ago, now I try not to regret being so callous with our money back then. I sure wish I would have saved. But I have learned. My husband was in the Army and he taught me to "Adapt and Overcome" that was an old saying he instilled in me. Believe me it helps!!! Thanks yall!!

Lynn

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also do a lot of scratch cooking to help stretch the budget. I like the convience foods (already made items or boxed items) but I have found that you have to pay for the convience. You have covered the basics very well. Decided if it is really a need or just a want can be hard. I can totally justify a candy bar (you get dairy, protein, vitamins etc, etc, etc) but it sure doesn't make it the best decision for me.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions and reaffirming that we are not alone in our struggle to get by with just the basics to save the money for the real needs.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to get the whole household to help with the daily struggles - we have now found ourselves in a position that I am taking on a second job (as of yesterday) we own our own business (franchised last year) and didnt quite think that the economy was going to get THIS slow!! Well my huband is going to pitch in with a part time job also. Our kids are 15,17 and 20 so they are old enough to "take-care" of the hime for a bit. My youngest has said she would clip and organize the coupons for me and later help me surf for the deals. I now keep my fingers crossed that they will "help" around the house with out me having to continiously ask.

We are not alone, but together we can do it!!!

Thanks friends!!

Lynn

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, this thread has wonderful ideas! Thank you all!

Cathy

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doyles4 For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your welcome...I have learned that money doesnt grow on trees.....now matter how much I wish.............so I hope I am able to help anyone I can........thanks for reading and goodluck-godbless!!!

Lynn

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are also thinking differently.
    I knew my job was coming to an end and started taking steps immediately. We didn't get to where I hoped we would but we did make several changes.

*bottled water and flavor packets- we switched to tea. Savings of about $80 a month
    *eating at home. This one wasn't a BIG deal because the last several times we went out the meal was less than desirable and way over priced. Last night was one of those great moments for me when we made homemade pizza for less than $10, my dh and son both helped make them and dh said this is better than the pizza we get at (the local places) my son said next time can we make ham and mushroom.
    *we have cut our grocery bill by over $200 a month AND since we are not eating out we are saving an additional $100-$150 a month.
    *planning our menu has several benefits for us and has proved successful too.
    *Last night it was hot and instead of turning the air back on we opened a window and set a few fans around.
    *Combining trips, we never make a special trip in to town for anything.

Those are things I can think of off the top of my head.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MF_Princess For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast