Downloads
    Uploads

Default Comments on House Paint

I was thinking about ways I?ve worked to save money?and I?m wondering what you all think about interior paint? We?ve painted each interior room of our house at least twice since we moved in 16 years ago. The first round was with paint I thought I was getting a ?good buy? on like Martha Stewart paint at Kmart or Dutch Boy paint, or paint from Sears.

A few years ago I was doing work that had me in Lowe?s every other week. I ended up getting a gallon of their American Tradition paint?one gallon cost about $20. What a difference this made!

We got semi-gloss enamel (Probably one reason it was expensive) and I will not use anything else anymore!

We have a little wall with angled corners as you enter the family room. I was forever ?rebuilding? these corners with mud, primer and touch-up paint. Our 3 boys needed to just crash into this a bit and it would look horrible. Of course it looked horrible when I mudded it and didn?t paint it right away.

Since we painted it with enamel, the ONLY dent I have found in the whole downstairs or upstairs hall is one I made when my iron dropped toward the wall?and the paint is still intact, just dented. This is going on something like 5-6 years! No marks, no dents?it looks just a beautiful now as when we painted it. (Plus I still love the color J )

Now the boys? rooms do have a little damage, but that was from wooden futon beds banging into the wall?understandable. But otherwise, this paint has saved me so much aggravation and time. Even in the living room where I have a dark maroon, the previous paint would show a white streak if my arm just brushed the wall (ick!) This new paint stays beautiful.

After so many years of thinking that it didn?t matter what paint I used, just to pick the right color, I will NOT go back to the other paints. I wish I had known this before I had painted our basement years ago?redoing that will be quite the chore!

I?m probably just slow to figure this out?but I hope this helps someone!

Cindy in Nebraska

Date: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:19 am
    Subject: Comments on House Paint

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure if it is the brand you used - rather then it was a semi-gloss enamel. Was the 1st paint you used a flat or eggshell paint? Either way - both hold marks easier & are harder to clean.

From: "EXT-Armstrong, Charlotte A" <Charlotte.A.Armstrong@BOEING.COM>
    Date: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:17 am
    Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Comments on House Paint

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Cindy:

We have had to paint rooms in our house & have tried a number of different kinds as well. I concurr that the semi-gloss, although more expensive is definitely worth it's weight in gold!! We tried cheaper paints but wound up having to use more coats & it hasn't stayed as nicely.

Our experience showed that using a pricier primer to seal also helped. The last job we did used Benjamin Moore latex enamel for a primer, then covered with General Paint (a little cheaper)..........what a difference!!

We put rounded corners in our family room & high traffic areas. These are the greatest things!! They wear much better & don't require the touch ups like angle corners do.

For redecorating, a coat of paint is still one of the cheapest things to do to refresh a room, especially if you are willing to do it yourself.

Thanks for sharing!

Cindy from Canada

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the real key to success is applying a sealer. you have
    painted your home frequently enough that the walls haven't dried (in a
    professional painter's terms) out. agreed, a poor quality product is
    going to leave something to be desired. but if you only paint every 8-
    10 years the best thing to do is buy a sealer to put on before you
    paint. they are less expensive than a can of paint (not a whole lot)
    and a lesser expensive brand might be acceptable...unless you have
    boys bouncing into the walls which reminds me...its been ten years
    since I painted;\ so I need to start budgeting to 'seal' and
    then 'paint'...sigh. Liss! fix my budget!!!
    mos
    p.s. I don't care what anybody says...Martha's sheets are the bomb!

Date: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:42 pm
    Subject: Re: Comments on House Paint