What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Here and need help in a BIG way!

Hi Everyone!

Let me start off by saying I hope this is not a judgemental place. I realize I have a problem and that is why I am here. I just don't know how to really "fix" it and need a little help. :smt102

My name is Ronney and I am from Apache Junction AZ and I am new here. I decided to join because I am a spend a holic and want to change my ways. I am nervous, but believe I can do that. My state of mind right now is "if i have a hundred dollars in the bank, I must spend it" My husband and I have been married almost 15 years and have NO savings at all. this became apparent and I want to change my ways because my 20 year old wanted to go to college, we made it work of course, but this is something that should have been done for herg a long time ago. I have an 11 year old now and I realize that when it comes time for him to go to college, I do not want to have the same issue. So I need to get my spending under control NOW! (I should say WE need to get it under control as my husband is just as bad as I am) I am good in other ways though, as clothing, I RARELY buy something that is not on sale, my husband too. I also shop at thrift stores and discount stores such as ross and marshalls.

Anyhow I need a basic starting point, and I know my MAJOR problem will be eating out. I love to eat out. My husband and I both work full time and so its just easier to pick something up on the way home. One thing though, i have commited to take my lunch to work everyday this week. Believe me that is HUGE for me. Also, we like to go out on the weekends, happy hour with friends during the week, yes, this is in addition to eating out. We do not have credit cards, so we aren't in debt really, we just spend ALL the money we make. We aren't poor, but I know we could be spending much more frugally and senseful. So are there any suggestions that you can give me so I wont feel so anxious to always go out on the weekends? Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a starting point maybe? I just know that if we get this "going out" thing under control, we will be alot better off.

Also... Grocery Game or Coupon Sense, which is better and why?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the first thing you have to do is figure out exactly what you make in a month. Then figure out all of your bills and necessities. Included in that you should set aside a certain amount to save each month. It may be hard at first, but maybe you can reward yourself with going out to eat once a week. You brought your lunch all week-that was really good. It is good that you don't have credit card debt (I am jealous). Start a plan and start saving. You can do it. Good luck.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I feel proud

Thanks I took my lunch today!!!! yay!!!! but then, the boss ended up buying us lunch because of new people started today and its a thing that we do when new people come aboard and when we have a staff meeting. so, I have lunch there for tomorrow and the next day cuz i am taking the left over spaghettie!!! AND... i didn't even take my debit card with me today. I have decided I wont be carrying that around with me anymore, that will certainly help. And if i want to go to ross, I will go, BUT with CASH ONLY!!!

I also looked up the envelope budgeting for beginners, that was really helpful My husband and I are going to do that. but reverse, we are going to put all our money int he bank for bills, and then just give ourselves a weekly allowance. I must say though, I am really excited that I didn't even spend ONE CENT today!!!! THAT IS UNHEARD OF. It is a great feeling though

I will keep you all posted Thanks for your encouraging words

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyhow I need a basic starting point, and I know my MAJOR problem will be eating out. I love to eat out. My husband and I both work full time and so its just easier to pick something up on the way home.
    Welcome to the boards! :URock: for realizing that you have some habits you'd like to change.

My first suggestion would be to read Liss' Free Ebook on how to feed a family of 4 for less than $200 a month. It will help you realize that you can make a big difference just by changing 1 or 2 little things in your daily life.

Why do you think you tend to eat out so much? (Your kitchen is immaculate and you dont want to dirty it, or your kitchen is a mess and you dont want to clean it, or you work all day and you dont feel like cooking or you hate coming up with ideas for dinner or any one of a million other normal reasons?)

If you could curb your eating out down to once per week do you feel it would make a big impact on your budget? We noticed a huge change when we cut down from dinner twice a week to Lunch out once a week. Abut $110. difference per week!

I use the copycat / clone recipes page to find our favorite meals out and then make those instead. Most of the time they are relatively cheap and easy to prepare.

The other thing, if you aren't used to budgeting, is to use the envelope method that is outlined on the site, it works great.

As far as coupon sense or gg, I wouldn't bother. GG charges you for information that is readily found in forums. You can go to the Coupons Galore forums for deals and read the links to How coupons work. (They have an outline for how to find the best deals and where.)

Most of the time youll find coupons for free food too. Like right now youcan get juicy juice for free, candy from kmart, frozen dinners, and a couple other things.

Thats all for now, I've got to get back to work, my lunch break is almost over.
    I'm a Freak!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm no expert, but here's a few tips . . .

Here's a few tips that have worked for me:

1) Set up a savings account with an automatic transfer from your checking every payday. This way the money you intend to save never even makes into the spending zone.

2) Establish a shopping routine - I grocery shop every Tuesday. If we run out of something before then, too bad. We just eat what we have. This keeps me from spending the little extras that you always get when you run out to the store.

3) You could also schedule certain days to go clothes/household shopping. I too LOVE to bargain shop for clothes for my family, but you can go overboard even at the thrift store. Keep a running list of the things that you find you need and take the list to the store with you so you can look around for those things. When I shop, I try to remember that it's not a good deal if I don't need it.

4) RE: eating lunch out - what worked for me was to give myself a certain amount of cash each week to eat out. To help me stick to this, I found some other ladies at work with the same problem. We would get together to eat lunch in the office - each bringing something in to share - bread, lunch meat, fruit, chips, etc. This way you HAVE to eat in - if you don't, your friends have no bread for their sandwiches. This also gives you the social part of the meal - which is probably the biggest reason you are eating out anyway.

The hardest part of reducing my spending was changing my mindset. I want to spend my money on things that I need so that I can spend my time on ACTIVITIES (not things) that I enjoy - being with my kids and my husband. If I fill my house with more toys and clothes and furniture etc. that I actually need, then I end up spending my time CLEANING all this stuff and working more to pay for it. I have developed a distaste for stuff in my home that doesn't get used. If it is just laying around getting dirty, then it has to go. Good luck!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks Everyone!

I wanted to update you all on my week...

first of all, i didn't eat out ONCE! I never paid for a lunch this week at all. I feel GREAT about it! And to top it off... A friend of mine invited me out last night, we went out. She owed me money so she paid for the whole thing So I got a night out, for free! (well, besides the gas to get there). I also have stopped carrying my debit card all together.

This morning I woke up and immediatly wanted to go grab something to eat from somewhere... I think this is just habit for me. Well, I didn't go I got in the fridge and just at a can of pineapple. and it satisfied me just fine My husband is out of town at the Sand Dunes right now, and he went with his friends, they all rode together and chipped in for food, so his whole weekend is like 100 bucks, which is CHEAP for us That is for his whole weekend He paid for this though a couple of weeks ago

I also DIDN'T go buy a new dress for the wedding I am going to attend tomorrow and wear one I already have. That is another HUGE step for me

Thank you all for the tips, they have been really helpful, and please keep them coming

Ronney