Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Grandmother's Silky Pear Butter
08-30-2008, 12:47 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Blog Entries
Grandmother's Silky Pear Butter
GRANDMOTHER'S SILKY PEAR BUTTER
4 lb. ripe pears
1 c. orange pineapple juice
1/4-1/2 c. sugar to taste
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. orange liqueur (optional)
1. Wash, peel and quarter pears. Remove and discard cores.
2. Combine peeled pears, orange-pineapple and lemon juices in a shallow medium-large pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to very low simmer.
3. Cover; simmer until pears are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Puree cooked pear mixture into a blender or food processor.
5. Return puree to pot and stir in sugar, start with 1/4 cup sugar, taste before adding more.
6. Stir frequently, simmer over very, very low heat until pear butter naturally thickens, about 2 hours or more. Pear butter is done when wooden spoon can make an open line through mixture. Mixture is firm yet soft. Be sure to simmer very low or pear butter with caramelize.
7. Stir in liqueur, if desired.
8. Ladle pear batter into hot pint jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space.
9. Wipe rim with damp paper towel.
10. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 5 1/2 pints.