Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    J Diane Northcutt

Piggy About the 250.00 a month grocercy budget

A year and a half ago I could easily do the 250 monthly grocery budget. So many food items have gone up in the last 18 months that I now find it pretty challenging.

The same is true with The Hillbilly Housewife's 70 dollar menu for a family of 4 - 6. Two years ago I tried her list and it came to about 70 dollars. It can't be done in my area for that now.

I'm curious how many of you are still able to feed your family for 57.00 a week.

I have a total food bugdet of 279 a month for a family of 5.

A show of hands please.

Diane

Dee Bleau

Re: Budget101.com : About the 250.00 a month grocercy budget

I can spend that in a week. And the kids have no concept and have it gone in a few days. I can spend alone $5.00 per day for just milk. They can go through a gallon per day if I let them.

Dee
    Mom to Kyle 08/11/91
    Mom to Stephanie 03/25/97
    Wife to Jeff 09/28/02

wyldrose

I know we spend close to $300 a month and I am extremely frugal. I bought pork neck bones ($1.26 for about 2 pounds) and made chili. I buy beans from the local coop (the prices at this one are under store prices unlike the other yuppie coop that most local folks go to). I also buy and cook much of what we eat from scratch, occasionally can the left over soups (we have soups at least 5 days a week). My daughter has autism and is a picky eater so I cater to her whims and we have compromised. Soups work great because she'll eat veggies in soups but not as a side dish. I also garden so have fresh produce this time of year.
    The prices have gone way up here and it is harder and harder to make ends meet. (we are on a very limited income). The bread machine and crock pots (I have 4 really help. One of the latest 'tricks' to making a good meal seems to be to make a taco soup and add a handful of corn chips and a little shredded cheese on top. MY daughter absolutely loves this. The taco seasoning from the coop is mild and the amount of meat is limited. We use a lot of beans (refried beans on sale ) so it is high in protein.
    We also now when traveling, instead of stopping for ice cream, go to the grocery store and buy a box of ice cream treats. The treats are typically the price of one treat or cone if we bought them at DQ.
    Kay

Herlean

Because of buying diapers, there is no way. He is in the process of potty training, but we are expecting 2-3 more babies next year, so back to diapers. Fortunately, I plan to nurse them as I did our first child, and make their baby food afterwards. Still, it gets tight.

We don't buy convenience foods. I make our meals at home. Slow cookers, casseroles and cooking at night helps. We eat a lot of pasta (40 cents a box on sale); chili, soups, stews. Not fancy, but works.

Herlean

N. Kl

We usually can spend about $25-$70 a week on groceries for a family of 6, that doesn't include cleaners, toiletries, wipes, paper products or diapers. The $25 is when we do have some items in our pantry. The $70 is when we need to stock up or do not have some of the items.

We cloth diaper/ clothtoilet train our younger two and are expecting a child in February. We cloth diaper part time and buy approximately 1 pkg of $30 ish diapers every two weeks. There are a lot of cloth diapers that are low cost. Baby Best Buy! or BestBuyBaby.com - Your source for great baby products is a good resource for cheap diapers. Pro-wrap wraps work pretty well but plastic covers work ok too. We like the extra soakers to make it work better. It is a way to save a lot of money a month. I do not buy the " laundry/water" expense. You plain save money cloth diapering. If you buy cloth diapers for 2-3 children and wraps from the above website it would cost you about $200 total for all sizes, you can go even cheaper using chinese pre-folds. I really like cloth diapers because when you have zero money, you still have diapers.

Nicole

N. Kl.

This might be a little unconventional but when there is about 1/3 of a gal. of milk left. I buy a small container of 2% milk and fill it halfway, then I fill it with water and powdered milk. No one bats an eye. When it goes down to 1/3 I repeat. It saves money and I believe it is juist as nutritous.

I also had to be really clear about what snacks were ok during the day and put a limit to it. We also could go through $20 by snacking a day until I put an end to all the grazing.

Nicole

Christina Coyle

RE: Budget101.com : About the 250.00 a month grocercy budget

I can say honestly that cloth diapering my babies have saved us hundreds of dollars. I do make my own diapers, so they do cost less than just buying them. There are many different options, even for potty training. My guy in trainers love his Cars “pull-ups” that I made for him.

LMK if you want some info J

Christina Coyle

Jackson Hewitt Tax Service

Area Manager of Andrews and Manning, SC

Lisa

I would like to know how families of 5 & 6 survive on $57-70/wk on groceries. Do you have any teens? Do your kids eat much? Are they satisfied with what is in the house. I get complaints all the time from the kids that “there is nothing to eat” and I spend double or triple that amount weekly. Can you give me example of your food lists/meals per week. Do you work? I don’t have the time to make everything from scratch because of work, but I do as much as I can. Would like to know more about how you stretch your grocery budgets so far. And how do you take care of that got to eat feeling for teens without going broke? TIA. Lisa

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast