milicaf35

Question in need of wood splinter

We are interested in renting a wood splinter. How do we know what kind we need. My brother told me that he had one that didn't split all the way to the end. Knowing that, how do I know how to know which one is a good machine and where to go for it.

Melissa

Ann Garner

Re: Budget101.com : in need of wood splinter

At 04:50 PM 8/23/2008, you wrote:
    >We are interested in renting a wood splinter.

Well, first, try doing a web search of wood *splitter*, not
    splinter. As to not splitting the full length, you can easily flip
    the block of wood over and split from one end, then the other. I
    know the splitters that hook up to the second drive shaft of a
    tractor do a full length split, but I can't tell you want brand it was.

Ann in Arkansas

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Melissa I would try to find one through freecycle (you might be able to ask someone that has one if you can borrow it) or rent one fairly cheap. Otherwise, check the newspaper classifieds for a used one, you can usually find them in the summer months, but if you wait too long they'll get more expensive *in season* and all.

You could maybe google your area with the search term, (but you might want to look for "Log Splitter" , I think thats what my uncle used to call it. Good Luck!
    CC,

Yeah, This is my life now!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star

Quote Originally Posted by milicaf35 View Post
    We are interested in renting a wood splinter. How do we know what kind we need. My brother told me that he had one that didn't split all the way to the end. Knowing that, how do I know how to know which one is a good machine and where to go for it.
    If you are just renting one, rather than buying, most any machine will do for a day. Try your local hardware store, or check small equipment listings in the yellow pages.

Most of those companies carry decent equipment because it cuts down on their losses (having to spend time/money to fix it -instead of being able to rent it!).

If you are looking to purchase one, thats a whole different story. If you think of going that route, let me know and I'll send you some info on them.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you can do it all in a day just rent one if it is close by...If you buy a used one make sure that it ram isn't bent...We got ours new from Harbor Freight...and had it trucked in...It is a 24 Ton and has served us well for 9 years now...