Do It Yourself » MYO Pesticides » Easy Non-Toxic Solution to Kill Ants

Easy Non-Toxic Solution to Kill Ants

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

easy-non-toxic-solution-to-kill-ants
Ants are a common problem for many families, often building nests in gardens, alongside walkways or even in potted plants on the patio or deck. Here’s a simple, nontoxic solution to the summer scourge…

You’ll Need Just 1 Ingredient:

1 Liter Club Soda

Pour the club soda into the mound slowly. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. It will take about two full days for the ants to completely die off.

Also, this will not work with very Large, well established colonies, only small mounds that have just popped up overnight or so. The reason why is because any colonies are frequently up to 20 feet underground, which means you’d need gallons to soda to even reach the queen, let alone kill her.

As I mentioned in the beginning, this works great along walkways or in the garden. Another thing to keep in mind BEFORE you attempt to kill ants is what type of ant you’re dealing with and why they’re there.

For example, Fire Ants have no real purpose in life aside from biting and making people miserable.

Also, it has been said that ants eat aphids (a common pest), this is not the case, ants actually Protect aphids in order to eat the the honeydew (the secretion produced by the aphid when it destroys the plant!)

Club soda does not leave any poisonous or toxic residue and is safe to use around pets and little kids.

It also will not harm your plants in the garden.

View these Other Member Recommended Methods for Getting Rid of Ants:

• Ant Bait
  • Ant Control
  • Ant Killer
  • Ant Traps
  • Fire Ant Killer Recipe

© Can Stock Photo Inc. / Antrey

• View More Frugal Living Ideas

More DIY Projects

View More MYO Pesticides

13 thoughts on “Easy Non-Toxic Solution to Kill Ants”

• Thanks for checking on this. I wish everyone would check out their posts.

While “snopes” claims it does not work, we’ve received numerous comments from folks who have personally tried it that swear by it, so to each his own.

• Snopes says this will not work.

well, the problem with that is that snopes is wrong all the time about things, particularly anything that has to do with science or home remedies. it also says that vicks rubbed on the feet won’t help reduce or prevent coughing, but they’re wrong about that too.

don’t go by “snopes” or any other single source, read reviews, check out other peoples experiences. just because some loser at a desk in an office somewhere says nay doesn’t mean he’s right. lol

1. i have tried many of the non pesticide ways to kill ants, and have come up with one of my own that actually works. the best part is it doesn’t cost a thing! poor boiling water on the ant hill.

it may take two treatments to eradicate a large hill, but it works every time. cook the little buggers!

2. our town seems to be on top of one ginormous ant colony so always looking for ways to keep then out of the house. now that i have a young grandson i am looking for non-toxic ways to do so. bummed to find out snopes days club soda doesn’t work.

3. okay i had my house full of carpenter ants so i took borax 1/4 and mix it with 3/4 icing sugar put thru a sieve and in some parts of the house I add water to it and made a mix for cotton balls and put in tuna cans . wet and them I use a salt shaker around the house with the dry mix and with in 2 days all gone and now I keep a salt shaker with the mix in it and go around the house and sprinkle when ever I see a ant on it and bang there gone there dead,

• Okay I had my house full of carpenter ants so I took Borax 1/4 and mix it with 3/4 icing sugar put thru a sieve and in some parts of the house I add water to it and made a mix for cotton balls and put in tuna cans . wet and them I use a salt shaker around the house with the dry mix and with in 2 days all gone and now I keep a salt shaker with the mix in it and go around the house and sprinkle when ever I see a ant on it and bang there gone there dead,

Ive read about this working also – just to point out tho, borax is toxic to animals … put it somewhere they cannot get to it 🙂

• Ive read about this working also – just to point out tho, borax is toxic to animals … put it somewhere they cannot get to it 🙂

Lorraine, Where did you get the little black avatar with the flashing white eyes? It is so cute. I want one too.

GingerV

4. I have tried so many options, natural, chemical, heck I am ready to bring in a voodoo dancer if that would work. For the cost of a can of club soda it is worth a go to see if it works for myself. I’m just tired of spending money on the little rascals, wouldn’t be so bad if they paid rent, lol

5. I’ve been fighting ants forever it seems. Little black critters. I’ve used borax mix as noted and works. Easier is TERRO bait cups.

I put them out when I see 2 ants patrolling my kitchen together. Once they find it you gave to watch this gross ant parade for days then….poof…. they’re gone.

Till next spring. ��

6. Sprinkle instant mashed potatoes around your house and ant mounds the ants eat them swell and die their saliva mixed with the potatoes (instant) does the same thing when we add water to them…..

ants love them eat them take some to the queen and Bingo ants are gone…safe for children and pets…placing them around your house prevents them from entering your house.

Ants are attracted to sweets, sugar, candy, cereals and so on to prevent them from invading your food pantry keep a small bowl of white vinegar where your food is stored…this prevents them from smelling the sweet stuff…..vinegar is a smell ants hate.

I forgot to tell you how the instant mashed potatoes works the ants eat it swell up and explode therefore riding you of these pesty no good for nothing creatures ?

Leave a Comment