Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stocking stuffers

Mar,
    Stockings are the favorite in our house and I have to be honest, I spend a lot more than most simply because I love them. It's the first place my kids look to but the last place they really open because they want to saver the special items. I rarely put normal stuff in and often search in little corner stores and specialty stores for things.

Here's some ideas I've done before:

The dollar store is your friend. In particular the Dollar Tree which has so much stuff for a dollar you could go crazy.
    Things I've gotten out of there include:

Hair bungees
    Hair brushes
    nail clippers
    nail polish
    holiday pens and pencils (a pack of pencils splits up nice amongst all the kids' stockings)

Other things I've put into stockings include:

Sample sized deoderants
    sample sized after shaves and colognes
    sample sized toothpaste
    sample sized powders
    sample sized mouth wash
    small homemade soaps purchased at specialty stores for about $1 or so but smell so wonderful
    votive candles
    votive holders
    (both available at Walmart and dollar stores for really cheap)
    small mirrors for purses
    bon-bon brand cosmetics (usually 88 cents at Walmart)
    "old fashioned", nostalgic candies (candy cigarettes, necco wafers, chic-o-stix, etc. that we used to have as kids)
    cd's I copy/burn from friends or cd's I have or songs I get from online, especially holiday songs or new albums that friends/family get and I borrow and make copies

paperback books
    dental floss
    holiday ornaments (sometimes boxes of 6 can be split up and put into a couple stockings... tucked away in a box for when the kids grow up and have their own place)
    beef jerky
    pickled sausages
    gift coupons/cards (put $5 on a McD's card, etc.)
    earrings
    mugs/drink containers with a corresponding drink tucked inside (large drink glasses with straws I'll tuck in Crystal Light packs or individual packs, mugs I put in flavored coffees or cocoas)
    specialty chocolates (stopping at a store that offers expensive chocolates that normally wouldn't be something you'd purchase yourself, you can pick up 1 awesome chocolate for each stocking and wrap it in a special holiday baggie or saran wrap as a special treat)
    kitchen utensils for the chef in your life
    blank or semi-filled recipe cards and cookbooks (the ones at the check out offered by Campbells, Pillsbury, etc. are nice and so are personalized ones from the dollar store that you put some of your fave recipes in)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MissDaisy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree that the dollar store is great for stocking stuffers, but another great place is Big Lots. I find all kinds of things at Big Lots that are great in stockings.

Some past stocking stuffers:
    Large sticks of pepperoni
    Dollar holiday lotto ticket
    Nail decals
    Bath Salts/Bubble bath/Bath Fizzies
    Summer Sausage
    Pot Holders
    Candy
    Gag Gifts
    Samples that I get in the mail
    Shaving supplies
    Calendars
    Lotions
    Hats
    Scrapbooking items
    Unique soda pop or candy (usually off of Ebay or ethics markets...Kit-Kats from Japan are great and come in many flavors like grape, wine, melon, strawberry, etc.!)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JennyCup For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

i typically take my time with finding stocking suffers and never ever spend more than 5 dollars on each stocking. we do 16 stockings, so I try to personalize each gift. so for example, i have bought a plush star wars character for my brother in law for this year. it will be the only thing i put in his stocking because it costs 4.95. but, that is just my idea of what says he will love his stocking all the more by finding something i know he is reallly into. others do the candy, so i do useful things that i know everyone will enjoy

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flutterbye0419 For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

At my house the stocking is what Santa stuffs. He likes to bring things like combs, toohtbrushes, crayons, coloring books and some special candies and poptarts (only time they get them). Usually there is one special personal item such as a video game, stuffy, watch or something like that. Santa does the stockings as a favor for mom and dad so that Santa can make sure that every child gets something without spending too much on the boys, since we can afford the other items the can go under the tree.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilbe95 For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I often do toiletries, that I would normally not spend the money on. and of course a lottery ticket, I have small stockings just for them.
    Ruth

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catlady For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great thread! I LOVE doing the stockings too! (When my husband and I got married, my momma made us each a Christmas stocking. - And the ones she makes are usually 2 or 3 times bigger than a regular stocking! - And last year I filled my husband's stocking so full that I couldn't hand it up. I had to sit it on the floor!) Since its just my hubbie & I, we are able to spend a little more. We have a little tradition that we do. A week or so before Christmas we go to Kmart together. We allow each other about $20. We split up in the store & shop for each other's stocking stuffers. We buy candy, toiletries, ornaments, etc. I usually buy him some boxers & he gets me some pjs or socks or something - all things on sale or inexpensive. Its almost like a game because we try to not get caught by the other person. I don't want him to see what I'm getting & he doesn't want me to see what he's getting. Its just something fun we like to do!

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, I forgot, I also get samples from Nivea (they send actual small bottles). I put hand cream & stuff in my hubbie's stocking.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Keep on keepin on~
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's never too early to start getting stuff together so this post comes in handy for me, lol. We always do small knick knacks for the children from santa like other things listed here. This year, my daughter who is 12 will be getting a few of the freebies I've received in the mail, or will be receiving,...tubes of lotion, lip gloss, and the intuition razor. Some of my friends laugh cause I sign up for freebies now, but every little bit helps and especially with the way our economy is watching every penny is important!
    ~True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable~~Sharon in Va.~

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blndemom23 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast