Do It Yourself » Revamping Your Old Patio Furniture Cushions

Revamping Your Old Patio Furniture Cushions

fb iconpinterest iconpinterest iconlinkedin iconbuffer icon

revamping-your-old-patio-furniture-cushions
Don’t let this picture scare you! This project was quite easy! All it takes is a little planning, a little thought, and a little time. I’m no seamstress by any means, but I do know how to run a straight stitch on my sewing machine. Honestly, I don’t even like to sew. The task just doesn’t excite me in any way, shape, or form.

I have wanted to replace the cushions on my lawn furniture for several years, but I haven’t been able to find cushions that would fit. Besides, have you priced lawn cushions lately? They are outrageous! This project took only about six hours to complete, and I have a “new” patio set that I love!

Each of the cushions consists of only two pieces of material (I used upholstery material that had a slight rubber backing to help repel water, stains, etc.), thread, small pieces of hook & loop (Velcro) tape, and the existing inner cushion pieces.

Planning
I began this project by creating drawings for the top and bottom cushions. I then measured the height, width, and depth of each cushion and transferred these numbers to the appropriate drawing.

NOTE: Don’t forget to allow for a 5/8″ seam allowance on all sides! (Add an extra 5/8″ to all measurements.)

Thought
This was the only tricky part – making my brain work properly! I knew I wanted to create a bathtub bottom because this concept was the fastest and easiest way to achieve my goal. It required less cutting, pinning, & sewing. The fabric keeps it’s integrity, and there are fewer chances of rupturing seams. I kept my pen & paper handy to do the math (use of fractions, like adding the 5/8” seam allowance). For these instructions, I will keep it to very simple math.

The bottom/back of the cushion – I measured the size I needed and added the height measurement to all four sides (my cushions are 6″ deep at their highest point).

Ex. If my cushion was 24″ on all four sides, I measured out 30-5/8″ per side making my fabric 30-5/8″ x 30-5/8″ square (Again, the extra 5/8” is for seam allowance on each side).

Here’s the Simple Math:
Width of Cushion – 24” Width + 6” Height + 5/8” Seam Allowance = 30-5/8” Width
Depth of Cushion – 24” Depth + 6” Height + 5/8” Seam Allowance = 30-5/8” Depth

I then cut a 6″ square (the height of my cushions) from each corner and sewed the matching cut corners (A sewn to A, B sewn to B, etc.) together (making sure the fabric was right side (outside) to right side (outside). I did this to all four cutout corners. Your bottoms/backs should come out looking like an inside-out bowl or tray.

The top/front of the cushions – I measured the size I needed and added the height measurement to the side that would be facing the back/bottom of the chair (plus the 5/8” seam allowance for each side). I then cut out my pieces.

Ex. If my cushion was a 24″ square, I added the 6″ height measurement to the side that would be facing the back/bottom of the chair and the 5/8” seam allowance, which made my fabric piece 30-5/8” long x 24-5/8” wide.

Time
I pinned a top and a bottom together (right sides of fabric together – fabric inside-out), lining up the edges, on three sides. I then pinned a 5/8″ seam around the remaining fabric from the top. I then ran a tight (and heavy – back stitching several times) straight stitch around the pinned areas.

Flip your covers right side out and check for any missed/open areas.

I removed the old covers from the cushions and discarded the covering. The insides of my cushions are made of very thick, dense foam covered in sheet batting (like the middle of a quilt). I realigned (and added to or replaced, if necessary) the sheet batting.

I folded the cushions in half and inserted them in my new covers. I then pinned a small square of the hook side of hook and loop tape to the extra flap on the underside. I folded the flap around to the bottom of the cushion and pinned the loop side of the tape to the bottom.

I removed the cushions from the new covers and sewed the hook and loop tape in place.

I replaced the cushions, and Voila, I have a “new” patio set!

This project took about 6 – 7 hours from beginning to end.

View More Frugal Living Ideas

More DIY Projects