Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Creative ideas to get your kids to eat better

Actually Theresa's post got me thinking.
    Why don't we all post idea's for increasing the nutritional content of foods. Including what we do to "sneak" nutriton past our kids. ;o)
    One of the things I regularly do is make "Golden White Bread". I make all my bread in my ABM and I call this bread that because I use homemade frozen pumpkin puree in place of water in the recipe.
    Homemade puree is thinner than commerical in the can type. I would thin out commerical stuff with water then add it if I were using that.
    I got this idea from a Taste of Home magazine where I got a recipe for dinner rolls that had pumpkin. They were such a huge hit with my family at Thanksgiving it got me thinking. Especially as I have one child who acts like he's dying if I present him with a vegetable.
    I also sneak pumpkin into a choc-chip loaf and a chocolate chocolate chip loaf.
    (I'm a sneaky mom)
    I can't wait to see what ideas everyone comes up with.
    Sincerely,
    Sherrilee

Date: Mon Jul 1, 2002 9:53 am
    Subject: Creative ideas to get your kids to eat better

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: creative Ideas

I add zucchini and carrots (grated) to meatballs- they have no idea
    I use 3 c white flour to 1 c whole wheat in my ABM and they are clueless

Downloads
    Uploads

I would take different fruit, cut them up into bite size pieces, put that into individual small clear bowls and cover with plastic wrap. When they would look in the refrigerator for something to eat they would always grab that, because it just looked so good. Once in a while I would drizzle honey over the fruit too, if the fruit wasn't on the sweet side.

Laurie-Maine
    Date: Mon Jul 1, 2002 3:26 pm
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Creative ideas to get your kids to eat better

Downloads
    Uploads

the old stand by is carrots in carrot cake...
    my favorite, and this is for DH too... when I am making rice, the Lipton ones, that have the seasoning in them (I know, shutter, I spent 79? on it, but I don't have the ingrediants to make it from scratch, I need them!!!) anyway, in the rice, I mix shredded really small carrots, add peas, broccoli, etc...
    Everything goes into the rice, and it still gets gobbled up! hee hee
    Love Dana
    Date: Mon Jul 1, 2002 11:50 pm

Downloads
    Uploads

I sneak carrot garlic and peppers into as many savoury dishes as possible.

I also make all my bread ABM and do half wholemeal and half white flour.

I make Banana muffins and put choc chips in them to make them choc chip
    muffins.

Both boys like fruit cake which is healthier than crisps(chips) or
    biscuits(cookies).

Best Wishes
    Maisie
    Date: Wed Jul 3, 2002 3:16 pm

Downloads
    Uploads

I add oat bran to meatloaf/meatball mixture that I make for the freezer.
    I am diabetic and try to watch carbohydrate intake and this affects my
    glucose less. Actually my ds (17) said my meatballs were great and I had
    chopped red peppers in them. He is anti vegetables but does well with
    the onions and peppers/oat bran.

Now if I could get him to eat mushrooms! This from the child who loves
    anchovies!

Kandy

Date: Mon Jul 1, 2002 3:43 pm
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : ideas to get your kids/husband to eat better

Downloads
    Uploads

I thin out my spaghetti sauce or chili with V8 juice or the generic store equivalent. It adds a dose of veggies without altering the taste, actually it adds a bit of zing to the taste! I have also taken the surplus zucchini from the garden, shredded it, frozen it and then tossed that in to spaghetti sauce at times too. Zucchini bread is tasty too.

I have started adding the TVP into some things, but, DH isn't crazy about it. He'll eat it, but given his druthers, he'd rather it not be there. I use soy milk to make smoothies. It is another great way to add the essential soy element into your diets. I get the Vanilla Soy milk and have chocolate flavoured soy protein shake mix to start with. I then add bananas, strawberries, peaches etc. whatever is on hand frozen or otherwise. Delicious and nutritious!

DH & DD do not care for sweet potatoes, but they are so good for you I have found that if I roast some sweet potatoes with white potatoes when we have pork roast, they will eat them then. Adding a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the sweet potatoes before roasting also enhances the flavour.

I am lucky in that DD & DH are not bad about eating their veggies. In fact DD usually will *only* eat her veggies and leaves the meat. - I am okay with that since she eats enough other stuff high in protein to off set any lack of meat.

Another fun way to get DD to eat veggies is taco night!!!! She will eat lettuce and occasionally tomatoes if they are piled on top of a taco - or at our house, hay stacks (tacos in pile on your plate you eat with a fork) DD also loved 1,000 Island dressing and Honey Mustard dressing. So, I will make tossed salads out of the field greens, spinach and iceberg lettuces. She often asks for more salad!!! I also got her started eating raw carrots but making or buying the match stick ones. They weren't as hard to chew up and were fun to eat. Now she will eat raw carrots anyway presented to her, but she still prefers to match stick kind.

Just a couple ideas.
    Diane

Downloads
    Uploads

I have peeled and seeded zuccini, grated it, and used in cookie recipes
    as coconut. So long as they don't see green or seeds, they couldn't
    tell the difference. And the cookies turned out great.

Cleo
    WA

Date: Tue Jul 2, 2002 11:30 am
    Subject: Re: Creative Ideas to Get Your Kids to Eat Better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast