Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd's Pie

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd's Pie
    1lb of ground beef, (with chopped onion, if you have it) microwaved or browned in the skillet, (you can mix leftover gravy with the meat, if you have it, if not, add a little water). Place in a greased casserole dish and top with a layer of whatever vegetables you have handy - frozen corn, peas, or green beans are good, or any leftover veg, then mashed potatoes to cover. If it's a really lean week, skip the vegetable layer and just go with mashed potatoes and serve whatever vegetable or salad makings you have on the side.

Place in a greased baking dish and cook at 400 degrees (or broil for a short time) until the top gets golden brown. Serves 4.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shepherd's Pie

I've also done this with ground pork or turkey (my local grocery usually has ground pork on sale once a week for .99lb), just add sage/black pepper/a bit of salt and layer the same as if you were using beef.

Options:
    - season the beef with taco seasoning (or use leftover taco meat), add jalapeno's to the mashed potatoes (can almost always get a small container of them free at the local sub shops)
    - mashed sweet potatoes instead of the regular white is pretty awesome as a change or especially with the ground pork
    - use a different veggie if you have it, I have been known to use artichoke hearts, corn, beans, mushrooms, green beans, spinach (lol - asparagus didn't do so well though), thick slices of tomato peppered & a little parmesan (about 4 packets you can get free with pizza is about right when we do it) also works out nicely

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDYMINX For This Useful Post:

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds Delicious! Thanks for sharing. Our local grocery store recently had whole pork loins on sale for 1.10 a lb (plus they were marked down 50% for fast sale. The meat department was more than happy to grind the loin for us at no cost. So I added some seasonings and made some sausage. This idea would've come in handy.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FreebieQueen For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I often mix a bit of mis leftover cheese that I have in with my Sherpherd's pie too. I either mix it in with the veggies or put it on top of the potatoes. Sometimes if I have extra soup laying around, I will add a can of that too, or a 1/2 c of skim milk, if it seems like it's dry.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dansgal For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I fix hamburger stew, I will take what`s left and fix sheppard pie the next day. I will heat the stew and then put it in a baking dish. I then add instant mashed potatoes on top of it, then add cheese slices and put it in the oven to let the cheese melt.

Yvonne
    Yvonne

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yvonne For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to say that I have never had this dish. It sounds very interesting and economical. I think I will try this out soon.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JennyCup For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

i had it for the first time ever last week and know i will be fixing some for us... i might even change it up a bit. we like chicken a lot here, so maybe I will cook chicken, chop it up and season with taco seasoning then layer the rest as it is... will have to let you all know how it turns out!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flutterbye0419 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

just thought i would let you know i decided to do my chicken version of shepherds pie like i said i should try! it is good. we will be doing this type of stuff more often!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flutterbye0419 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast