Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Coloring your own hair?

Does anyone do this? What brand do you use? Is it easy? I need to cover my gray but just can't justify spending so much money at the beauty shop!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do -all- the time. I've only gotten a professional color twice, and I've not had my "natural" color in around 12 years.

For the first time, you probably don't want to go too much darker or lighter than your natural color. There are all sorts of different types of dye, but fundamentally, they're all pretty much the same. Some are metallic based dyes (most notably Nice n' Easy, though I'm not sure what other ones are metallic), which are harder on hair.

If your hair is longer than your shoulder blades, and is relativly normal in thickness, then you'll want two bottles. If your hair is thicker, and anywhere from shoulders down, then you'll want two bottles.

If you've ever shampoo'ed your hair, then you can dye it easily. I'd start off with a level 2 dye . The dye will say on the package what they are- wash out is level 1, semi-permanent is level 2, and permanent is level 3. By wash out, it means it will wash out in 2 or 3 washings. Semi means about 12-24 washings, and permanent means it'll last much longer, fading with time and washing, and growing out more naturaly. It differs for everyone. For me, personally, I re-dye about once every 6-8 weeks.

Some tips- make sure your hair is dry, but not super clean. Wait about 24 hours after washing before dying, and make sure your hair is clean of hair products- hair spray, gels, mouse, etc.

Process time should be followed exactly or under the amount listed for the first few times, until you know how the hair dye will take and if the color is what you want. The longer it sits, the more it takes, as in the longer it lasts and the darker the color is.

When you are waiting for it to process, use a plastic shower cap over your hair, or have a friend wrap saran wrap around your hair. Then cover with a towel. This traps heat in better, and the heat will set the dye better.

As for brands, I'd stay away from the metallics, but otherwise, just try one of the name brands (L'oreal, etc) when they're on sale. You can usually find them on sale for around $6.99, and with a coupon, get thme even cheaper.

This week (Jan 15-21 06) Color Silk by Revlon is on sale buy 1 get 1 free for $3.99 at Walgreens. That's a level 2 which I've always had great success with. Find a coupon for $1 off, and get it even cheaper.

Hope all this helps!
    Gilly

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default All good advice Gilly.

I'm a licensed stylist and would like to add that when your color grows out you should part your hair into 4 sections then using the tip of the color bottle nozzle apply color at the regrowth only trying not to overlap on the previously colored hair.It helps to have a friend or husband handy to do the back.The last ten minutes of processing pull the color through to the ends to refresh your color.Remember to use the same color/brand each time.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! That is really, really helpful! I think I'll take a deep breath and try it. I'll let you know how it goes....

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, couple more quick questions. Do you do the allergy test on your skin or not? Is Clairol Natural Instincts a good level 2? Thanks again!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's your first time coloring at all, or if it's the first time with a new product line, then you should definatly try an allergy test. I never do personally, but I dye so often that if I were allergic, I'd know by now.

Natural Instincts is a great level 2.