Doughnut question?

Has anyone here made doughnuts without a deep fat fryer? I want to make some, but I don't want to buy yet another "kitchen gadget". For one thing, space is limited & I also am not into spending $$ right now. I asked hubby, & he thought the doughnuts would come out too crisp. Need help! :)

200, buy, crisp, deep, don, dough, doughnut, doughnuts, fat, hubby, kitchen, limited, make, mon, question, space, spe, spending, thing, thought, aine, asked, 2003, 1237, date, schulmire, fryer, made, gadget

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Doughnut question?

Has anyone here made doughnuts without a deep fat fryer? I want to make some, but I don't want to buy yet another "kitchen gadget". For one thing, space is limited & I also am not into spending $$ right now.

I asked hubby, & he thought the doughnuts would come out too crisp.
    Need help!

Aine

Date: Mon May 19, 2003 12:37 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You'll probably laugh at how I do donuts sometimes....... I buy the store brand biscuits in the can, use a bottle cap to cut a hole in the center (or a donut hole punch) and then 'deep fry' them in a pan of hot crisco. No mess, and pretty cheap, especially when you get them on sale. I then either shake them in a bag of sugar, or powdered sugar, or dribble chocolate frosting on them.

Diann
    Date: Mon May 19, 2003 6:03 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are many recipes on the web that call for frying the donuts in a pot
    of vegetable oil. I personally prefer non-fried (aka baked) donuts to reduce the fat content. If you query "baked donuts" or "baked doughnuts" you will get many excellent recipes. Some recipes call for an electric donut maker, others donut pans (like muffin tins but with donut shaped grooves), some use a donut cutter and others have you using muffin tins. Happy hunting.

Lisa B.

Date: Mon May 19, 2003 5:51 pm

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

A large pot, like a Dutch oven, of melted shortening and a thermometer will work just as well as a deep fat fryer for donuts. That's how my grandma always made her donuts. The temperature of the shortening is the key...not the container it's heated in, as long as the pot is large enough. Most donut recipes call for the oil to be heated to 375 degrees. And, don't overcrowd the pot when you fry them.