grocery price list?- Grocery Price Books

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to this group, and am ready to chime in now. I've been married and doing the grocery shopping for nearly 12 years now and have never kept up with a price sheet. I always try to get the lowest price and am familiar with prices in my area, but obviously

big, bottle, check, companies, granny, grocery, hat, home, huge, jar, list, makes, number, place, price, products, size, star, started, trouble, prices, married, decided, works, week, older, kids, tamela, school, time, full, sheet/book, spreadsheet, excel, book, start, shopping, years, chime, ready, fairly, group, sheet, strapped, cash, lives, memorize, lowest, area, familiar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default grocery price list?

Hello everyone,
    I'm fairly new to this group, and am ready to chime in now.

I've been married and doing the grocery shopping for nearly 12
    years
    now and have never kept up with a price sheet. I always try to get
    the lowest price and am familiar with prices in my area, but
    obviously
    can't memorize all prices. We have been strapped for cash our
    whole
    married lives, but are tighter than ever now. I'm going to school
    full time and the kids are getting older. I decided this week I'm
    going to start my own price sheet/book. I started it with an Excel
    spreadsheet.

How many of you do or do not keep up with grocery prices in a
    book? If
    you do, what works for you?

Thanks,
    Tamela
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't keep an official one, but I do know the prices in my head. I
    also have items I won't buy until they get low enough on sale, sort
    of like a "cut off" amount on what I'll pay, that I also have in my
    head.

I would start with making a list of the items you buy every time you
    shop- milk, eggs, bread, meats, etc. Anything you put into the cart
    every time should be on the price list. Mark the actual price, not
    the sale price. Mark the price from any stores you regularly go to,
    so you know which store is cheaper.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know about now, but Aldi's used to be a super place to stock up on
    vegetables in late summer and early fall. They'ld have local cannery brands
    for as little as 19 cents. This was from when produce contracted by a
    major brand exceeded their requirements. The farmer had already been paid
    according to his contract, and any overage was sold under the local
    cannery's brand, often the name of the town where the cannery was.
    Everybody knew, for instance, that Ackley (that's in Iowa) brand corn was
    actually Green Giant with a different label.

Don C

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

My husband and I tried to do a price book years ago. We took a notebook to all the stores and compared prices with the stores we normally shop with. Unfortunatly trying to keep up with that was a pain in the rear and we never went to another log. So if anyone posts some fairily easy logs that would be great! I also go to school full time and well I have been married 11 years and we are always tight on cash. Haven't learned how to handle properly but even if I don't chime in too often I get a lot of great ideas on this site that help with that. So things are moving up and there's a light in our tunnel. Good luck, Michelle

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

likewise here.

I also know who is most likely to have the best prices on common items.

The listowner has indicated that she makes up a monthly (?) menu and shops
    from that. I don't. I look at the weeks ads and build a menu around that.
    If it's cheap enough, I'll figure out a way to use it. (BTW, it really
    helps I'm only cooking for myself.)

I also keep a very large larder. If I had to, most of the time I could go
    without buying anything for 2-3 months. Would be rather boring, no fresh
    fruit, vegetables, or dairy products, but would be reasonably nutritious.

Don C

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

We took a class with DaveRamsey.com for about $100 for 13 weeks. It taught us how to save and spend in all aspects of our life. Insurance, collage, home, food etc. He taught us how to pay off our debt, how to prioritize. It was worth the money for us. We are now able to sleep better.

Melissa

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Re:

Care too share what you got and learned from Ramsey?

Kathleen

We took a class with DaveRamsey.com for about $100 for 13 weeks. It taught us how to save and spend in all aspects of our life. Insurance, collage, home, food etc. He taught us how to pay off our debt, how to prioritize. It was worth the money for us. We are now able to sleep better.

Melissa[/quote]

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to compkat For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok my mission is now to figure out a simple price book. Maybe I should start visiting some of the local stores see if they can beat foodlion
    Mdowdy

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

So any ideas on an easy price book?? I occasionally shop at Aldi's and Sharp Shoppers (PA & VA) and get magnificent deals, but the drive to them is between 45 minutes to an hour...and gas is now going back up....but most of my shopping is at food lion as well....Arron told me that he went to Harris Teeter last night because they had BOGO free on bags of shrimp.....the one 2 pound bag was $26.00!!! no way!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just want to know how you can keep up with a price book these days when every time I go to the store it seems the price has jumped up again. I used to know the stores that had the best prices on regularly purchased items and exactly what the price was, but now I'm floored when the price jumps by not only a few cents but some things as much as 50 cents since I bought it last, and I'm talking about a few weeks ago. Wal Mart has been real bad with price increases lately. Some of their store brands are priced higher than the leading brands these days. You would have to adjust your price book every few weeks to keep it straight.
    Niddi

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

yeah these around here are changing so much I can't keep up with them either. Looks like I am going to have to do a price book for this reason
    Mdowdy

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have thought about making a price book because there is a point that something hits a rock bottom price and that is when I like to stock up. I have never made a book yet I am thinking my best bet would to be write down only the foods my family eats- I do not buy anything just because I have a coupon unless it is something I want to try. Lately I have been trying to eat better so we are seeing a lot of fruits and veggies in our house. I can say that I try not to buy any prepacked goods because cooking from scratch is so much cheaper. When I come up with my book I will let you all know how I did.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kkiriazis For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: grocery price list?

I want to try making a price book, but I feel like I'm going to look weird with a composition notebook writing down prices in the grocery store. The grocery tool on here is a huuuuge help but I still need to know how quickly things add up- Sometimes I'll just buy a thing here and there and it'll cost an arm and a leg- other times I'll buy the motherload of stuff and it won't be nearly as expensive as I thought. I'll probably go like at 2 or 3am when no one is there and do that.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried keeping price books. Tried smaller ones that would fit into my purse and couldn't get it to work. Tried a bigger one and keep losing it because it wouldn't fit into my purse. I'm terrible with numbers. I've dealt with tumors for more years than I care to remember and surgery on the brain ended up with me having to quit my 90 K biochemist job because I really can't do numbers any more. I keep someone with me when I go shopping and I save my recipients. If one of us thinks milk has gone up we pull the receipts and see. Now I just try to keep track of what I have and what I need to replace each month. I went through a couple years of real frustrations but now just go with the flow and thank God for every day I have without some new nightmare happening to me. My latest thing to try and stop this is going with no simple sugars or starches. It's been 3 years and so far no new nightmare has come forth. But gee I really can't handle numbers. Gave up on price books. We were just going through the files and realized we had 3 years worth of grocery receipts! Oh my that sure was an eye opening evening looking through to see how much stuff has gone up! Between groceries, gas for the car and heating the house no wonder we have trouble staying in budget!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by faxonfive View Post
    So any ideas on an easy price book?? I occasionally shop at Aldi's and Sharp Shoppers (PA & VA) and get magnificent deals, but the drive to them is between 45 minutes to an hour...and gas is now going back up....but most of my shopping is at food lion as well....Arron told me that he went to Harris Teeter last night because they had BOGO free on bags of shrimp.....the one 2 pound bag was $26.00!!! no way!!
    i was afraid of that with Harris Teeter. I look at their ads but have been afraid to really shop there because they dont list their prices and I can't get a handle on how much I would be spending. I am going to be working on designing mine in the next couple of weeks so I will have it when i go shopping on the 3rd. Will let you know what format I come up with and how it works. With most of my shopping also being at Foodlion I really wont need but a space for foodlion and aldi's. I am going to give them a shot but I pretty well know what is high and what is not compared to Foodlion since I am in there so much.
    Mdowdy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast