Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Planning a Wedding, on a realistic budget

I just wanted to pass on about saving money for wedding, if anyone has any great ideas I'll be willing to listen. Esp. with the food, and cookies. My son is getting married the end of June and we are doing all of the cooking and baking.
    I'm making her vale which is a lot of work, but fun to do if you can sew. She also purchased her very beautiful gown at a thrift store, a gown that had to cost several $100's was purchased for only $50.00. Talk about saving, and only a cleaning bill, also purchased a pair of white shoes NEW for $2.00 this past week at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. This wedding has to be the one of the few that has cost so little and hopefully will turn out just as nice as most that have $100's of dollars put into them. Any ideas will really be helpful.

Thanks Donna

Date: Mon May 19, 2003 10:29 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

For my wedding I made mine and the matrine of honor bouques out of silk flowers, I acvtually made the floweres too. I also made the guys flowers and the flowers for the ladies in the family. I shared the alter flowers with the wedding that was behind mine at the church, we split the cost.

Diane in NC

Date: Tue May 20, 2003 11:51 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK I can't give much help towards a "traditional" "fancy" wedding but I can tell about our wedding that we will always remember. Fore warning this was NOT a "traditional" wedding but it was one to remember.

* I was 6 months pregnant with our daughter so no fancy dress for me, I went with what I had on hand that still fit and worked my maid of honor's outfit around it
    * Since I wasn't wearing anything too fancy neither did hubby, him and his
    best man wore black jeans with white dress shirts
    * Since we had our colors I found a flower shop that would do all the flowers for the bridal party for just under $50
    * My uncle is a cake decorator and was coming down for the wedding so I had him and grandma do the cake. Grandma baked a 3 tier heart shaped cake to go along with the 3 sheet cakes that uncle bought and decorated.
    * We found a minister that only charged us $50 for the ceremony.
    * We had our wedding outside, hey no rental costs there...ok limited sitting and tables but hey
    * OK the table was chained to a tree in a different area so we used a truck
    canopy set on ice chests for a banquet table
    * The food was brought as a potluck
    * The ceremony was video taped and photgraphed by family members

Like I said this was NOT a "traditional" wedding, unless you want to look at the traditional redneck wedding. LOL It worked out even with the drunken fight, the pickup trucks everywhere, truck canopy table and the pregnant bride. LOL It is funnier than heck when I think back on it, I think I might watch the tape later and watch hubby swaying and my saying I do twice from nerves. OK it was a redneck wedding but it only cost $100.

Susan

Date: Tue May 20, 2003 2:12 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Donna,

This is actually the third time in 18 months that I've posted the following. I'll add, however, if you search the archives with the keyword "wedding," you'll find some great ideas:

This is really kind of strange to me. I'm going to talk about my wedding to Genghis Khan (or Gunga Din, if you'd prefer--as long as you keep him the 2500 miles he is from us...away!). I will reassure you, however, that my marriage from hell had nothing to do with the exquisite wedding we had in 1983--for $800, including our rings (totalling 3/4 karats in diamonds and
    14k gold), the stamps, the invitations, my gown (from the local prom shop...it was *not* a prom gown by any stretch of the imagination!), food *including* one of those three-tiered cakes I'd personally always dreamed of, toss-away plates and cups, and all the rest, and we had 75 guests.

Now granted, 75 guests isn't even 20% of your expected crowd, but given that you don't have the rings and so on, this should be a breeze--especially now that I know you're (re)marrying a Leatherneck! This should be more of a piece of cake for you than you're making it.

You've said you have the rest covered, that you're just concerned about the music and the food for the reception, right? So let's start there! Let him or one of his buddies tape the music rather than doing the DJ bit. DJs cost money, and it's really a useless expense if you can do it yourself, and why not? This way, you'll get exactly the music you want, and you won't have to wonder when this or that song is coming next!

My mom had a brilliant idea, and she rented the Sons of Italy Hall for $125, *including* rigatoni and meatballs for everyone! I've noted your name, and I'll caution you to remember that many of the Eastern European cultures do what I'm going to suggest to you as well--including the hall rental. Do look into that as an option. After all, if you can get the hall including some of the food, it's possibly going to prove worth the price!

Next, with all those family members, get 'em cooking! People love to pitch in for a special occasion like this, Lynn, and it can make a very memorable occasion for your having considered this! I asked each of our guests to bring a dish representing their culture or cultures, and they were thrilled! As a result, in addition to those rigatoni and meatballs, we had sweet and sour chicken, lasagna, salad, and the most heavenly homemade empanadas made by my matron of honor who was from Argentina! It makes a buffet meal to remember, and it can provide the ice breaker to an otherwise stiff event.

Those who wanted drinks knew they had to buy their own, and no one complained because they knew how tight our budget was for this wedding. I honestly don't think anyone would have complained about such things anyway. I *know* the booze factor was really where we saved because my gown was new, as were the rings, but it was no less beautiful and elegant a wedding than my brothers or his had at the time of each of their marriages, and ours was the least expensive of all of them. One of my brothers-in-law spent a stunning $10,000 on their wedding, just 8 months later, and truly-- for what? To impress people? This is *your husband's and your* day, and those who are coming, are being honored for your having them there to join you on this special occasion! After all, you don't *have* to have them there, but you love them enough that you'd like them there. So save yourself the ulcers from worry, and decide you're going to pamper yourselves instead with a memorable occasion filled with joy rather than tension.

You have an opportunity for a gourmet lifestyle like I mentioned here recently. Don't sweat the small stuff and end up tossing it into a microwave and poof! out comes an instant mass-produced wedding! Take a little creativity time, plan memories not money into the event, and put a satisfied sense of inner peace and outer glow on your face as you walk down that aisle!

Although I don't have what *could* have been out of my marriage, it certainly had nothing to do with my wedding day, and *that* I'll treasure the rest of my life. Go gourmet, and you'll have that special day not only you and he will remember, but each and every one of your 500 guests will too!

Hope that helps.
    Also in the archives, Donna, search for my recipe for Drunk Chinese
    Turkey. There's no fuss, it stays moist and tender, and the meat
    falls off the bone. And *then* remember to head for the Budget101
    website because Liss *always* has awesome ideas!

Warmly,
    Michelle

Date: Tue May 20, 2003 2:41 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Michelle for the very interesting info about your wedding and the money saved. So far my sons wedding sounds about the same, and about as many people will be attending. The hall is being rented for $120, the DJ is my daughters boyfriend, who usually charges around $400 for the weddings but doing it for half or less and she is paying bill for their wedding gift. I'm making the rigatonis and my other daughter and some of the brides family is cooking and bringing food also, and I have already been baking cookies and freezing them.

As for the hard liquor it's more or less bring your own except for 1 bottle for shots for the wedding dance, and 1 cage of beer which the best man is
    sharing expenses. Almost everything else has been purchased on sale over the past months, including the white flooring for Darla to walk on and also a white garden arch with lights and added flowers to be married under. Their have made all of the flowers for the girls and bride to carry out of artificial flowers like someone else has suggested, this had saved a lot of money to say the least. She was talking about getting her hair done but I have talked her into using my steam cariso rollers which does a very professional job at home, and looks really great and will save about $10 - $20 and letting the other 2 girls were their hair as they want to since both have very long hair and know how their feel comfortable. The invitations were made on the computer, and turned out beautiful, and in the mail or handed out to as many as possible to save a lot of money on postage.

So how do you think we are doing so far?? Does anyone have any really great fast and easy cookie recipes to pass on, since I'm so busy during the day, and in the evening very tired, time really is limited and this is usually for over the weekends for the baking. Thanks for everyone's help so far, I do need to make the time to check out the great recipes on the website and try them, then I will decide if we will use them, at least it will be some great food to share with the family for the next few weeks.

Blessings form Pa. Donna

Date: Tue May 20, 2003 9:00 pm