Downloads
    Uploads

Default Crossing the border for my health!

OK~~

Trying not to open a can of worms here

I have gone to Mexico to go to the Dr. when I didn't have insurance, I had
    mastitis~ ouch! Anyways... I went on advice from my then mil who went to
    that Dr. quite a bit. I have gone across the border for other stuff like
    amoxcilian and my mil bought birth control pills and crushed them up and put
    them in her shampoo, she said it helped make her hair strong, ??? Anyways,
    some meds you need a prescription for, others, you don't.

I also have bought Retin-A and used at night cuz I really don't want
    wrinkles LOL~

I would REALLY love to get into aromatherapy and also using essential oils
    and herbs to heal, but just haven't put the time into learning about all
    that... not yet anyways!!!

Veronica

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Crossing the border for my health!

I am all for crossing the border. I have in the past ordered my prescription medications online. It saved me a bundle. If I could get to Mexico I would go too.
    “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.”

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please just be a little cautious. Mexico and other countries do not have the same regulations as the U.S. does. Many studies are required to prove a drug can be an effective treatment (in this country). Many other countries approve drugs at the drop of a hat, and could care less if (medical) drugs are approved at all. Inspections do not happen like they do here. I am not by any means saying that the U.S. is perfect, there are many issues here too. Just that countries that have harder regulations have more testing to pass, more questions to answer, etc. Most medical Dr.'s know the basics in most countries (excluding third world). For something important, I would not want to be seen anywhere but here. If money was an issue. Many ER's at major hospitals will see you despite your ability to pay right then and there. There are also Free clinics across the country in most major cities that I have lived in. You also have medical teaching schools that have to be overseen by Medical professionals.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish we were closer to Mexico too .. Some of the elders used to cross the border (Canada) for meds, but the gov said they couldn't do it anymore. Not sure if that ever got cleared up.

Canadian medical is not a whole lot cheaper once I add in the gas & passport

Bummer

Ria in Maine

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Considering a large majority of our drugs are made in other countries, I would have no fear of crossing the border to get what I needed. Wish I lived close enough to either border to do it. Yes, the care in US is excellent but the keyword is affordability. Hospital will treat in emergency, but based on income level, will bill you. Other than emergency, they refer you to family doc. Free clinics(few and far between) are also based on a very narrow window of income.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by crankymae View Post
    Considering a large majority of our drugs are made in other countries, I would have no fear of crossing the border to get what I needed. Wish I lived close enough to either border to do it. Yes, the care in US is excellent but the keyword is affordability. Hospital will treat in emergency, but based on income level, will bill you. Other than emergency, they refer you to family doc. Free clinics(few and far between) are also based on a very narrow window of income.
    I agree with you whole heartdly!!! I have no health insurance and after a seizure last summer and trip to the ER, you would not believe the medical bills that have piled up!!! The hospital had their bill at my door within days and wanted their money, no if and or buts. My Dh has been laid off for over 6 months, yet we still don't qualify for any help from the County or "free clinics"...we make too much money!!! Yeah right, unemployment checks, too much money!!!! So, I continue to go to the Dr., at $250 cash every visit, not to mention my medications! Luckily, I can get some of them at Walmart for $4 each. One of them, Topamax, the first time I got it filled, cost me $358 for one month supply!!! I now get that same medication, the Canadian generic version.... for $98.99 for a 2 month supply!Tell me what's wrong with that? A generic isn't even able yet in this country!!!!!

By the way, that also includes $10 for shipping and handling!!!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cost of medical care and precription meds has skyrocketed. I understand why people are looking for alternatives. A lot of it has to do with our "system".
    When my DH was in the hospital for 3 days I asked if I could bring his routine meds from home (knowing that the hospital charges a rediculous rate). I was told no, they had already ordered it and it had to be dispensed by them. Sure enough, when we got the bill it was shocking to see how much was charged for that. There was no reason (other than another rip of by the system) for them to not allow us to use meds we had already paid for. No meds were changed, just a Plavix added to what he was already taking.

Some years ago we thought about me going without insurance because the premiums had reached over $300 a month. I asked at my doctors office if I could pay the same rate they were getting from most insurance companies and they would not loose any money and not have any paperwork to deal with. I was told no, I would have to pay the standard office visit fee which is about double what they get from the insurance companies

You either pay huge insurance premiums and if you have no insurance you pay top dollar for your care and your meds. It's a no win situation all the way around.
    Niddi