Originally posted by ?Jill? on March 25, 2003
Help for Hair When Swimming in Pools (was Hair Problems)

When we put our pool in I talked to my hairdresser about the damage to my hair. He told me to do the following:
Wet your hair before you go into the pool. Hair is like a sponge, if it's wet already with regular water it won't absorb as much of the pool water. After wetting your hair, put some conditioner on your hair (before the pool). Just some of the "cheap" stuff is better than nothing. Then pull it back in a scrunchie.
Once out of the pool, make sure you rinse.
At least once a week, twice if possible, deep condition with L'Oreal Nature's Therapy. This stuff is NOT cheap, 16 oz is $12.99. I usually buy it at Sally's Beauty Supply and if you have a friend who is a beautician, she can get you a discount there. However it lasts a long, long time because you only have to use a little bit. They also sell a little one ounce packet of it so you can try it out before putting more money into it.

Originally posted by ?Poppy? on March 25, 2003
Help for Hair When Swimming in Pools (was Hair Problems)

Do you wear a swimming cap? I found they really help protect the hair. Plus, If you put a little VO5 oil or cream on your hair under the cap (not as recommended as a treatment, just enough to give it a very light coating.), or something similar that doesn't come out easy without shampoo, that will really help.

Originally posted by Kathy on March 25, 2003
Hair Problems

One thing I do is rinse my hair with tap water so its wet before I enter the pool, then rinse it with tap water afterwards. I?ve heard that this is a good idea because the chlorine won?t soak up into your hair as much if its
already wet with tap water. How about putting conditioner in it right after you swim and after you rinse it?