Cleaning Mold?- Tips-n-Tricks

I am in dire need of trying to get the mold off of the painted wall in our bathroom. What can I use to remove the mold but not eat the paint or the drywall? Thanks in advance, Tina From: "thebangmas" Date: Thu May 15, 2003 3:56 pm

apply, bee, bleach, dry, equipment, fur, hem, hen, mois, moisture, mold, rea, sand, sealant, surface, tent, trea, treatmen, treatment, water, advance, tina, drywall, paint, thebangmas, 2003, date, painted, dire, wall, remove, cleaning, bathroom

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Cleaning Mold?

  1. #1
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Cleaning Mold?


    I am in dire need of trying to get the mold off of the painted wall in our bathroom. What can I use to remove the mold but not eat the paint or the drywall?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tina

    From: "thebangmas"
    Date: Thu May 15, 2003 3:56 pm

  2. #2
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    bleach should do the trick.

    From: "Cindy Sue"
    Date: Thu May 15, 2003 6:58 pm

  3. #3
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    I have the same problem with mold on my bathroom ceiling, and I had read to clean with bleach, the use baby oil to cover the surface. My biggest problem is over the winter time, so last fall I had tried this and my problem has cleared up almost 95% and very little clean up needed now as I'm house cleaning. This really does work. Also just opening a window for some fresh air if possible after using the room also helps. Donna

    From: "Donna"
    Date: Thu May 15, 2003 10:22 pm

  4. #4
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    I'm trying to remember what we used to clean some mildew off after rain had leaked around a vent and got on the wall above the tub. Think we mixed laundry detergent and bleach together. But, it has been a while, and can't remember for sure.

    Nadine

    From: tsni843
    Date: Thu May 15, 2003 11:42 pm

  5. #5
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    Try using Listerine Mouth wash. It work for me when I used it and it doesn't have the side effects like bleach with the fumes.

    Susan

    From: kunzs
    Date: Thu May 15, 2003 11:10 pm

  6. #6
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    In response to the mold question, is this a recurring problem? I've had clients who have had this problem, it seems to be the same cause. If your bathroom vent goes into the attic (or there is no vent), moisture has nowhere to go but back into the bathroom. Try scraping paint and using a paint made specially for bathrooms (a moisture proof one). We had this problem in our bathroom too (I love long, HOT showers with NO fan on!). Once we repainted with the correct paint, no more problem! For a quick fix, try bleach and water (about 1/2 and 1/2). Good luck!

    From: "Marti Jean"
    Date: Fri May 16, 2003 12:10 pm

  7. #7
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    We had a mold problem in one bathroom. Was finally determined that water was coming in around the outside vent in the house. We replaced the vent with a larger one and the problem was solved.

    Nadine
    From: tsni843
    Date: Fri May 16, 2003 7:20 pm

  8. #8
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    From having lived in a home that always molded during the winter I just want to let everyone know that bleach, be it full strength or diluted, does not always work.
    Sometimes you can just scrub your little heart out with it and within a week you have the mold back...painting also did no good. I am only sharing this info so that if this happens to you that you don't think that you did something wrong.

    Susan
    From: kunzs
    Date: Sat May 17, 2003 1:34 pm

  9. #9
    Budget101 Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    107
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    When my ex and I moved into our house, there was mold all over the back bedroom. I scrubbed it with one of the scrubby-sided dishsponges and undiluted bleach. Once it was dry I painted over it with Killz It. Then repainted the whole room. That stuff is great! Its to prevent stains, mold, etc... from bleeding through the paint. I never had a reoccurance of mold after that. Im not sure how much it costs, as it was about 7 years ago last time I used it.
    ~Gypsy~

    From: ~Gypsy Roaming~
    Date: Mon May 19, 2003 9:27 am

  10. #10
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    A friend of mine is a Katrina survivor and she fought the mold and mildew in her home, which had flooded, with bleach, only to have it recur. Then she found out that you should mix 1/4 cup bleach to a gallon of water. Anything stronger than that solution causes the mold spores close and you can't kill it and it will recur within days. And, it's best to sand the surface first, before treating them with the bleach water, if at all possible.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,167
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by IamCheap
    And, it's best to sand the surface first, before treating them with the bleach water, if at all possible.
    You should Never Sand Anything containing Mold without Proper Ventilation Equipment.

    Once a surface has been properly washed, it should be allowed to dry, (less than 18% moisture content) before further treatment.

    Then, once it is Dry, you should apply a fungicidal sealant.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun Mold
    By Savin' Moola in forum St. Patricks Day
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
  2. Mold on Cheese?
    By Savin' Moola in forum Frugal Savings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM
  3. mold
    By prnena71@aol.com in forum Budget101 Discussion List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 02:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •