Applesauce Recipes Please?- Equivalents & Substitutions

I have been given alot of cans of applesauce recently.Does anyone have any good recipes I can use them in preferably deserts or cakes? Laura Brown

alot, applesauce, avoid, bee, bread, brow, brown, butter, cakes, cans, end, hem, item, laura, muffins, oil, recently, recipes, subs, substitute, preferably, deserts, good, recently.does

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Applesauce Recipes Please?

I have been given alot of cans of applesauce recently.Does anyone have any

good recipes I can use them in preferably deserts or cakes? Laura Brown
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can substitute applesauce for 1/2 to all the oil in cakes, muffins & such.

Cindy

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've often used applesauce in place of shortening or margerine/butter too.
    But try to avoid making this substitution in something like shortbread,
    where using butter is important to the final texture of the item. You'll
    still end up with something edible (probably) but the texture will be wierd.

Holly

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Applesauce works real well in pumpkin bread! I have the recipe if you would
    like it.

Sue

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Applesauce Recipes Please?

applesauce makes amazing brownies.
    Ich möchte ein eisbär sein, am kalten polar.... Dan müßte ich nicht mehr schrein... Alles wär so klar... Eisbären müssen nie weinen
    I'd like to be a polar bear, at the cold polar.. Then I wouldn't have to cry anymore.. Everything would be so clear.. Polar bears never have to cry

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's one you may like. I got it many years ago from a friend. It is wonderful, can store for up to a year and makes a great gift. I will post it on the site too:

Applesauce Cake in a Jar

Ingredients:
    2/3 c. shortening
    4 eggs
    2/3 c. water
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    2 2/3 c. sugar
    2 c. applesauce (chunky or smooth)
    3 1/3 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    2/3 c. nuts (optional)

Directions:
    Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, applesauce and water. Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices, and add to mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour into WELL greased pint jars (the ones with wide mouths) filling half full. Place jars on a cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. When jars come out, wipe jars clean and put on canning lid and ring...screw tight (careful: use oven mits...it will be hot). Jars seal as they cool.

Makes 12-14 pint jars. Lasts sealed for 1 year!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Carrot Cake
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 egg
    4 egg whites
    2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    5 medium carrots, shredded (3 cups)
    Cream Cheese Frosting
    4 oz (half of 8-oz package) reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons fat-free (skim) milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups powdered sugar

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan. In large bowl, mix sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla, egg and egg whites until blended; beat with spoon 1 minute. Stir in remaining cake ingredients except carrots; beat with spoon 1 minute. Stir in carrots. Pour into pan.
    2. Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack.
    3. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Spread frosting over cake.

My 5th generation Applesauce Cake recipe (My great Grandmother made it on down to my Daughters now!)

2 1/2 cup fine flour
    2 cups white sugar if available (adjust if you have to use honey)
    1 1/2 tsp. Soda
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp allspice if available
    1 1/2 cup Applesauce
    1/2 cup Lard (or shorteneing)
    2 eggs
    1 cup raisins
    1/2 cup finely chopped nuts

Makes 2 (9" layers)
    Measure all into a large bowl and beat hard for 5 minutes. Pour into pans and bake in moderate oven (350) until done, about 50 minutes. Cool and remove from pans. Frost with butter cream icing.

My Mom always baked this in a 9X13" pan and then while still warm glazed it with a thin buttercream glaze. Brings many fond memories!
    Last edited by brchbell; 03-13-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: forgot to highlite titles!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jaime View Post
    Here's one you may like. I got it many years ago from a friend. It is wonderful, can store for up to a year and makes a great gift. I will post it on the site too:

Applesauce Cake in a Jar
    I'm amazed you don't know that these recipes have been considered Hazardous to your Health for many years now. NOBODY should be doing this. Don't believe me. Do your own Google search for 'canning bread'.

From the National Center for Home Food Preservation: "Can I can bread or cake in a jar?
    These products are not recommended for canning; choose recipes that you can freeze. In fact, most of these products are not really "canned." The directions call for baking in the jar and then closing with a canning lid. Many recipes for quick breads and cakes are low-acid and have the potential for supporting the growth of a bacteria like Clostridium botulinum if it is present inside the closed jar. One university's research showed a high potential for problems. You will see these products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and processing controls not available for home recipes are used. Canning jar manufacturers also don't endorse baking in their canning jars.

National Center for Home Food Preservation | Canning FAQs
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

A fast use for canned applesauce is Apple Butter. Here's a crockpot version that I 'can', but you could just keep it in the refrigerator.

Apple Butter (Crockpot)

7 cups applesauce -- natural (or equivalent from cans)
    2 cups apple cider
    1 1/2 cups honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -- optional
    1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 14 to 15 hours or until mixture is a deep brown.

Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized Mason jars and seal, then process half-pints or pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Source: "http://mywoodenspoon.com/recipes/"
    Yield: 8 half-pints
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

not a dessert or cake but a favorite in my book

Apple and Sausage Pie Recipe
    Print Options

* Print (no photos)
    * Print (with photos)

Ingredients

* 1 basic pie dough recipe, rolled out and lining a 9 or 10-inch pie dish, or 8x8 baking dish, chilled (or one frozen pie crust)
    * 2 large tart Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    * 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about half a cup)
    * 1 teaspoon sugar
    * 3 Tbsp butter
    * 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage (bulk, or removed from casings)
    * 1 clove garlic, minced
    * 2 cups shredded fontina, provalone, and or asiago cheese
    * 1 cup ricotta cheese
    * 1/4 cup feta cheese
    * 2 eggs, slightly beaten

Method

1 Preheat oven to 425°F. Line the inside of a pie shell with heavy aluminum foil, pressing the dough against the side. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil, poke the bottom of the pie crust with the tines of a fork to create air vents. Return crust to oven, bake for an additional 4 minutes, or until the crust just begins to brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

2 Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the apples, onions, and sugar, cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. In the last 30 seconds or so, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Transfer mixture to a separate bowl. Increase the heat to medium high and in the same skillet add the Italian sausage. Cook, stirring only infrequently, until sausage is browned on all sides and is cooked through. Remove from heat. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon to a dish lined with paper towels to absorb the excess fat.

3 In medium sized bowl, mix together the cheeses and beaten eggs.

4 Place sausage on bottom of pre-baked pie crust. Add the cooked apple onion mixture over the sausage. Pour the cheese egg mixture over the apple mixture and spread it so it evenly covers the pie.

5 Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.
    “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.”

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Triple-Layer White Cake with Orange Curd Filling Recipe
    Print Options

* Print (no photos)
    * Print (with photos)

Ingredients

Orange curd
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup orange juice
    9 large egg yolks
    3 tablespoons grated orange peel
    2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Cake: Dry ingredients
    2 3/4 cups cake flour
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Cake: Wet ingredients
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    4 large egg yolks
    6 tablespoons sour cream
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
    2 teaspoons grated orange peel
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cake: Egg white ingredients
    6 large egg whites (see note on separating eggs, start with room temperature egg whites)
    Pinch salt
    2/3 cup granulated sugar

Frosting ingredients
    10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
    Method

Orange Curd

1 Place lemon juice in small bowl or custard cup. Sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand 15 minutes.

2 Whisk sugar, orange juice, yolks, orange peel, and lemon peel in heavy large saucepan to blend. Add butter. Whisk over medium heat until curd thickens and bubbles begin to appear at edges, about 9 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin mixture. Whisk until gelatin dissolves. Transfer curd to small bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of curd. Chill overnight.

Cake

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Sift the flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.

2 Whisk the oil and egg yolks in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in the sour cream, then the milk, orange peel, and vanilla. Whisk in the dry ingredients in 3 additions.

3 Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 2/3 cup sugar, while beating on hight speed until you have stiff peaks.

4 Gently fold the egg whites into the batter in 4 additions. (Do not overmix!)

5 Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake cakes until the center is just golden, a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cake pulls away very slightly from pan, about 20 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 5 minutes. Cut around pan sides. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.

6 Place one cake layer, flat side up, on 8-inch tart pan bottom or platter. Spread 1 cup of the orange curd over the cake. Top with the second cake layer, flat side down. Spread 1 cup of the curd over the layer. Top with the third cake layer, flat side down. Cover and refrigerate the assembled cake.

Frosting

1 Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in medium bowl until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar, then 3/4 cup orange curd.

2 Spread frosting over cake. (Can be made a day ahead. Cover with cake dome; refrigerate.)
    “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.”

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Applesauce-Chocolate Brownies

1/2 cup Butter
    1/2 cup Cocoa
    2 Eggs
    1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Sweet Applesauce
    1 cup Flour
    1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup Black Walnuts
    1 teaspoon Vanilla

Melt butter; add cocoa. Add beaten eggs and sugar; beat. Add applesauce; beat well. Add flour, soda, salt and baking powder; beat. Add walnuts; mix well. Add vanilla; pour into greased and floured pan. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Cool and cut into squares.

Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Applesauce Cookies

1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Butter
    1 Egg
    1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
    2 teaspoons Baking Soda
    2 1/4 cup Flour
    1/2 teaspoons Ground Cloves
    1 teaspoon Cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1 cup Raisins (optional)
    1/2 cup Nuts (your choice) (optional)

Cream together sugar, butter and eggs; dissolve baking soda in the applesauce and add to the sugar mixture. Sift in flour, spices and salt; add raisins and nuts. Drop several inches apart onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F about 15 minutes. Makes around 30 cookies.

Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    Applesauce-Chocolate Brownies

1/2 cup Butter
    1/2 cup Cocoa
    2 Eggs
    1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Sweet Applesauce
    1 cup Flour
    1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup Black Walnuts
    1 teaspoon Vanilla

Melt butter; add cocoa. Add beaten eggs and sugar; beat. Add applesauce; beat well. Add flour, soda, salt and baking powder; beat. Add walnuts; mix well. Add vanilla; pour into greased and floured pan. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Cool and cut into squares.

Thanks; Virginia

What a great recipe you have here. I've copied this one to make for our woman's prayer meeting. They should love this one.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
    A fast use for canned applesauce is Apple Butter. Here's a crockpot version that I 'can', but you could just keep it in the refrigerator.

Apple Butter (Crockpot)

7 cups applesauce -- natural (or equivalent from cans)
    2 cups apple cider
    1 1/2 cups honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -- optional
    1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 14 to 15 hours or until mixture is a deep brown.

Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized Mason jars and seal, then process half-pints or pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Source: "http://mywoodenspoon.com/recipes/"
    Yield: 8 half-pints

This is a great recipe. I've made this one, and it's the best one I've ever made. The apple cidar really does make a difference in the flavor, very good.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast