Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MYO Laundry Items (Detergent, softner, stain spray, etc)

Hi everyone. I finally made my own laundry soap. I've had the stuff to make it for about three months now but have been putting it off becasue I was worried that it woulden't turn out right or that it would be hard to do or something would go wrong. And because I am a procrastinator by nature! lol. But I did make it this evening and it was so easy! Everything seems to have worked out just fine and I can't wait to try it out tomorrow evening. I keep running and looking at it to see if it looks any different!

The only concern I had was that when I added the borax, washing soda and clorox 2 it only thickened up a little bit. Has any one else had that happen and the laundry soap still gelled up just fine? Or even if it doesn't gel up does it still work just fine?

This is what I used.

1/2 bar fels naptha soap
    1/2 bar irish spring soap
    3/4 cup washing soda
    3/4 cup borax
    1/2 cup clorox 2

Melt the grated soap in 3 pints water
    add the washing soda, borax and clorox 2.
    stir untill thickened
    remove from heat
    add 1 pint HOT water to five gallon bucket
    add the melted soap mixture and stir well
    fill bucket with cold water and stir well

set aside untill it gels up about 24 hours

Does this sound right to you all? I think I got the recipie either from the list or from the site. Can't remember which.

TIA, Maya in San Diego

Date: Sun May 4, 2003 1:54 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a recipe with just borax, fels naptha, and washing soda. I thought that it was working, but after a while the clothes really stunk, even just coming out of the dryer. Is the recipe with irish spring and clorox 2 better? I really hate to buy laundry soap and I haven't had the nerve to make lye soap yet.
    I am new here, but I promise to post an intro soon. )

God's blessings,
    Nicole B.

Date: Mon May 5, 2003 10:12 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used this basic recipe but added dry bleach for over a year now, and have NEVER had any problems with odor. They smell 'clean', I've not had any problems with graying t-shirts, in fact, my whites are cleaner than they were with store bought! Can't tell you what went wrong, but do know that there is a shelf life to the soap. But with the amount of laundry I do, I haven't had to worry about that.

Julie S

Date: Tue May 6, 2003 12:34 am