Road Trip Dining

Hello, A while back, in one of the groups I belong to, we were talking about eating while traveling (sorry can't remeber which group). I just drove from Canada to Texas and I wanted to let everyone know how I saved some money on food during the trip. We have done this trip a few times and I

bars, beef, bottle, boxes, canada, cereal, cheese, chicken, food, fruit, hat, items, meal, money, salad, tea, texas, tote, water, week, trip, bought, drinks, foods, saved, milk, times, eating, stopped, deli, sandwiches, chips, canned, juice, filled, bags, mixed, dressing, small, green, salads, roast, arbys, input, ideas, healthier, carrie, home, driving, felt

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Road Trip Dining

Hello,

A while back, in one of the groups I belong to, we were talking about eating while traveling (sorry can't remeber which group). I just drove from Canada to Texas and I wanted to let everyone know how I saved some money on food during the trip. We have done this trip a few times and I think this time we ate way better for much less $. We took a cooler with us and also paper plates, cups and bowls. We took plastic cutlery as well. We packed all our food items into a rubbermaid tote so nothing would get squished. For breakfasts we had cereal, milk and fruit. we decided on a cereal that we all liked so we only had to bring one box. For lunches we had sandwiches made with bread, luncheon meat, squeeze bottle miracle whip and pre-sliced deli cheese. We also had peanut butter. For supper we stopped and bought a roasted chicken and macaroni salad from the deli. We had green salads several times. We bought a small bags of mixed salad and a bottle of dressing. Once we stopped at Arby's and bought 4 roast beef sandwiches for $5. We filled out the meal with our own drinks and fruit. For drinks we took milk, juice boxes, canned ice tea, water and pop. For snacks we took cereal bars, granola bars, chips and fruit. We spent a bit more on some convienance foods that I normally would not buy (like deli-slice cheese) and also junk food (like pop and chips) but we saved much more than if we had ate a fast food restaurants. I also can honestly say I felt much better because I was eating much healthier foods. If anyone has any other ideas i's appreciate any input because next week we will be driving home lol

Carrie
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

The other advantage to this is that you won't get an upset tummy.

When I was in Vermont in 1998 you could smell the rancid grease from McDonald's. It was enough to keep me from eating there.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Road Trip Dining

You are my kind of a traveler!!! We have truck camper. I have cheese, crackers, homemade cookies, always packed for our 1st day out. Way to go!