remodeling / home improvement projects

remodeling / home improvement projects

We bought our first house 17 months ago, it was built in 1979. There are things going wrong that we need to fix but we know absolutely nothing about home improvement. DH works 12 hour days, and I take care of 3 kids so time is an issue. I am looking for references either books or online so that

age, care, days, frugal, garden, hat, hey, home, house, how to, huge, information, kids, kitchen, learn, problem, product, shower, time, wall, brick, pretty, caulk, research, fireplace, show, replacing, things, replaced, improvement, laminate, cons, flooring, pros, peel, stick, vinyl, biased, vendors, melissa, dogs, durable, needed, work, floor, ceiling, height, foot, half, remove

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default remodeling / home improvement projects

We bought our first house 17 months ago, it was built in 1979. There are things
    going wrong that we need to fix but we know absolutely nothing about home
    improvement. DH works 12 hour days, and I take care of 3 kids so time is an
    issue. I am looking for references either books or online so that I am not
    taken advantage of by anyone we hire. Our biggest problem seems to be our
    master shower. The previous owners put white caulk all in the shower to make it
    look new and pretty, and now there is mold coming through the caulk (and not
    even strait bleach is helping) and the tiles are shifting and the shower is
    actually leaking at the bottom. We are looking at replacing it with a
    fiberglass shower we saw at the Home and Garden show, but I still need to
    research it further. DH is not really ummm....handy so doing it ourselves is
    probably not an option, but I would be willing to try and learn. We are also
    looking at replacing the dingy carpet with either hardwood floors or laminate
    and will need to do research on that. I tried asking different vendors at the
    show, but they all were very biased about their product and I never really got
    the information I needed. We have three kids and 2 dogs and I need something
    durable, but I don't know the pro's and con's of which is better. We also have
    the peel and stick vinyl flooring in the kitchen we would like to get replaced,
    but again are not sure if we want to go with laminate or tile. We are pretty
    sure the insulation needs to be replaced and several bricks are loose and
    cracked around the house that need repair. We also have a brick fireplace that

goes from the floor to the ceiling and there is a huge gap between the brick and
    the wall where the house has settled. There is also the brick ledge that comes
    up about a foot and a half that we would like to remove, but the fireplace is at
    the same height so we are not sure how that would work. Any ideas on where to
    get frugal advise and get informed on what all is available and how to do
    things?
    Thanks for the information!

Melissa
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post: