Home Lice Remedies- Health & Home Remedies

didnt someone say that you can use coconut shampoo to keep lice at bay. i read it somewhere..and my daughter got it yesterday.. and i want to know what to do short of cutting all her long hair off.. the rid stuff makes it brittle.. any ideas?? thanks ericka From: "joeericka" Date: Fri May

200, bay, brittle, coconut, cut, cutting, daughter, hair, hat, home, ideas, lice, long, makes, remedies, rid, shampoo, short, stuff, yesterday, 2003, 1240, date, ericka, joeericka, read

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Home Lice Remedies

didnt someone say that you can use coconut shampoo to keep lice at bay. i read it somewhere..and my daughter got it yesterday.. and i want to know what to do short of cutting all her long hair off.. the rid stuff makes it brittle.. any ideas??
    thanks
    ericka

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 12:40 pm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GillyBean For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have heard of a few drops of lavender essential oil in your shamppoo can work as an anti-insect/lice/fleas...ect.

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 5:28 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may have to do a little searching, but I believe I heard somewhere that you can use vinegar to kill them as well. Don't know as it hasn't happened to us yet.

Kristi

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 5:52 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I have read somewere that tea tree essential oil added to your shampoo will keep lice away, I have never dealt with lice thank goodness, but my daughters classroom had a horrible outbreak, I did cut my daughters hair it was down to the middle of her back, we got it cut to a bob, its still very darling, also my hairdresser said that if you put hairproducts in the hair like gel or mousse, they are less likley to stick to the hair follicle, Lice are attracted to very clean hair, Lice gives me the heeby Jeeebies, I know the kids cant help it neither can the parents, It must be frustrating!

Hope that helps
    tammy

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 6:01 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that is true about the Coconut shampoo try it my girlfriend told me it works so all you can do is try it and also to put baby oil in her hair and comb through it real well then wash it real good it is going to take a couple times to wash it out at least 3 times then comb through after you shampoo. There is also the rid conditioner if you would like to try that.

Tina

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:12 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes vinegar works too I believe it is the apple cidar vinegar. for the person I posted for on the other one about the coconut shampoo it will help keep them away but not kill them.

Tina

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:14 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another trick that works to prevent them is to oil your kid's scalp. Sounds
    dirty, but, take some vitamin E oil, grapeseed oil or jojoba oil - light carrier oils. Put some lavendar and or tea tree essential oil in it - a few drops of each per ounce of oil. If your child has really dry hair and scalp, you could even use vaseline as the base. Then at night, after shampooing and drying hair, part their hair and rub this in all over.

Lice can't stick to the scalp when it is a bit greasy. You will have to shampoo a lot, or not - if the hair is on the dry side, it might not be that big a deal. I learned this in beauty school. I went to a school that was very mixed ethnically, and when we were studying about lice, the instructer said, you need to know this, but, you won't see much if any in our clinic, but commented that if we were in the branch we would. Of course, she was asked why, and she said, because the majority of the customers at our school were African American and they rarely get them. This was fascinating and she was asked why. Because of the various chemicals they have to use on their hair, they tend to have very dry scalps. The various scalp treatments are oily enough the lice won't stick on them. So, actually, you could buy scalp treatments for dry scalp and use that. She was correct. During the first half, while at that school, there was not one single case. Midway I switched to the other school to get some experience on white hair, and it was CONSTANT. We had to really be careful and check our clients. (This is making me itch so bad, LOL) I wore my hair up in a tight french twist every day, (I have/had long hair and was worried).

I have some friends that swear by putting the essential oils in detangling spray - it stays in, they smell good and it repels them.

Home Permanents and Hair Dye will not kill lice. You would be amazed how many people would try that, and then come in to have us fix the bad perm or dye job, with a lousy head. I have no first hand experience with any of the natural treatments, but, some people swear by them. Once it gets in a school it can spread like wild fire, and, no one should feel bad. If your kids get it, you must be keeping them super clean.

Janet

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:39 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Several years ago while working in a child care center we had a bad break out of lice. One child's pediatrician told the mother she could get the dog shampoo with the picture of Lassie on the front and use it to repel lice. That the chemicals in it were not as bad as the ones in Rid. You can also find an electronic comb that kills the lice. You are supposed to use it everyday for about 5 minutes combing the hair. It will zap the lice. You can find the combs at Wal-Mart next to the Rid. It costs about $30 but you use it over and over so it's not a one time use thing.

Mary

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 10:45 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't heard about coconut shampoo but I can tell you what worked for us. I put 3-4 drops of TeaTree Oil in Baby shampoo. Wash as normal with it but also put some on the hair dry and go through with a FINE tooth comb. As for treating the house the last time I used Raid Deep Reach Foggers and it worked better than the traditional methods including with the bedding, stuffed animals and toys. This is what worked for us it may not work for every one but it did for us. You can add the TeaTree Oil to any shampoo but the baby shampoo makes the whole mix gentler on the scalp... yes it makes a difference.

Susan
    Date: Sat May 10, 2003 4:10 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never dealt with lice myself or my kids, Some how this method of using dog shampoo on a childs hair does not sound very safe, sounds kinda odd

Tammy
    Date: Sat May 10, 2003 1:59 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just read somewhere this week to use mayonaise. But i haven't figured out where i read it.

Cindy in MI

Date: Sat May 10, 2003 10:09 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

My sister has extremely long thick hair....she got it and it was terrible, but my mom conquered it. This year my best friend's daughter got it and kept on getting it for over 2 months straight until she listened to me.....ok, so here we go. I SWEAR THIS WORKS!!!!! First of all you need to take all the stuffed animals in the house, pillows, cushions etc. and put them all in plastic bags.

Spray with the lice spray and close them....do not open for 2 weeks!!!! This is very important!!!!! Take all the clothes in the house (ALL OF THEM) and put them in a pile. This includes bed clothes....curtains too if you can!!!

Go get in the shower, kids first and wash their hair with this recipe....do not use the store bought stuff.....it can cause braindamage and death (and my sister's scalp had scabs from it and the lice and the scratching) get a bottle of very cheap shampoo. Get a bottle of tea tree oil (wal-mart $4); take the bottle of shampoo and dump half of it into a seperate container for later; dump all of the tea tree oil into the shampoo you are going to use.....shake well. Put the shampoo into the kids hair.

DO NOT RINSE YET!!!! Put a shower cap on them and let them out, now your turn same thing. If you can have someone come and get your kids.....wonderful!!!!! Now, you have to wash all the clothes and stuff in the pile in as hot of water as you can (or go to laundry mat....good idea, can get all done at once!!!) When clothes are done, put in plastic bags and tie off just until you can get the rest of the house done! Ok. Vacume your couches, beds, floors.....take the vacume outside and vacume out your car. Spray the car with the lice spray...roll up windows and leave car alone for 24 hours. Don't take the vacume in yet, take the bag off and throw it away outside....dont take it inside!!!!! Now that that is done, spray the matresses with the lice spray. Now, you can put the clean clothes on the bed and put away etc. Rinse out the shampoo stuff, and do the same with conditioner....same thing with the tea tree oil. Once the conditioner is in your hair, comb through with the lice comb, every strand of hair. When done rinse...do not shampoo with plain shampoo right after, that defeats the purpose.

The tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner that you have made will help prevent future lice infestations. If you have pets, you may want to attempt to treat them too! My best friend was getting ready to shave her daughter's head. After she listened to me, it has not come back. When kids are in school, or around other school age kids, wash their hair with the tea tree stuff once a week, reg stuff for all the other washings. Try this, if this doesn't work nothing will!!!! Save yourself a lot of time and energy by trying this first....the others just plain don't work. Hope this helps!

Rachel

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 10:43 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Rachel, you really do have to do all those things, bag up the stuffed animals, spr;ay and vaccuum upholstery, spray your car upholstery and roof of car, wash all bedding in very hot water. Treat backpacks. Lice don't live long off a human, but long enough to be transfered. We dealt with this two years ago and it was one of the most stressful things we have ever dealt with.

I do not know about the tea tree oil: I am curious to know what it consists of, as the many "natural" remedies we found in doing extensive research don't have good track records. (I'm not saying they've never worked for anyone.) The thing is you've got to kill the buggers, and then pick every single nit (egg) of the hair shaft...the combs they sell are not fine toothed enough for fine hair. We bought a pet comb--very fine toothed which helped, but the combing just helps you find them, doesn't necessarily pull them off (I think it must depend on how fine your hair is. ) You still have to pick them off with your fingernails. We were dealing with very long fine hair. We tried over the counter remedies; they did not kill the nits (though the box said they would, apparently some strains of lice have become immune to OTC) and it came back two weeks later and we had to repeat the process.

At that point we picked off nits one by one, but with fine blond hair they were very hard to see. We went to the doc (required before we could return the kids to school) and in their office light they (and we) could see some that did not show up in home light. We returned home to try again, knowing that OTCs didn't work well, but unwilling to try Kwell, which apparently is very effective but banned in Britain because of neurological problems caused by it's use in some cases. Ultimately we used Ovide, suggested by a doctor friend, It was effective. It stinks though, and has to be left on over night. (We still picked nits off one by one--I'd never thought before about the derivation of that word nitpicking.)

Several people suggested coating hair with mayonnaise or oil, wrapping it and leaving on over night. I think the idea is that it smothers the lice. I don't know about that but know that you still need to pick off the eggs. You have to be diligent and set aside time to check and to nit pick, and check twice a week indefinitely after you're free. The process lasted from August to Thanksgiving the year we had it. I say "we" but it was actually only one child--it felt like it was the whole family. A good site is http://www.headlice.org . There your kids can play JAIL LOUSE ROCK--at least two years ago they could........and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about headlice. WE used books on tape to get us through the tedious task of regular headchecks.

I hope I'm not just repeating what has already been said. My sympathies
    to whoever is dealing with this and hope you find solutions more easily
    than we did.

Alice

Date: Sun May 11, 2003 10:06 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

The best treatment, and the only one that worked for my daughter is this:
    first, use mayonnaise (or mayo) on the hair. Get it really saturated, and then leave on the hair about 30 minutes. You could probley go less on the time, but this is what we use. Then wash out the mayo, shampoo will take it out. When everything is washed out, have the child lean their head back into the sink or bath and pour vinegar all over the hair. Comb through the hair and leave on 30 minutes. Then shampoo and condition as usual. The mayo kills the lice, and the vinegar eats the stuff that makes the eggs stick to your hair.

This was the only thing that worked for us. We used EVERYTHING on the market to get rid of it to no avail. As far as bedding spray, we used Lysol. I sprayed some live lice with it that I had gotten out the hair before treatment, and it killed them. So I saturated everything in the house with it. Cheaper than the other sprays out there! Hope this helps!

C. Suitor

Date: Mon May 12, 2003 10:03 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

What did it for us not getting them was this...

I used to be a hair dresser...lice absolutely HATE dirty hair. They love hair
    that has been washed every day or every other day because they can stick their eggs to the hair shaft easier than a head that has not been washed for 3 or 4 days.

The school got it here and my kids and a few others were the only ones who did not and NEVER have been infected. I do not wash my kids hair more than twice a week in summer and once a week in spring and winter unless they are filthy.

dak

Date: Mon May 12, 2003 11:15 am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast