Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Home Lice Remedies

didnt someone say that you can use coconut shampoo to keep lice at bay. i read it somewhere..and my daughter got it yesterday.. and i want to know what to do short of cutting all her long hair off.. the rid stuff makes it brittle.. any ideas??
    thanks
    ericka

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 12:40 pm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GillyBean For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have heard of a few drops of lavender essential oil in your shamppoo can work as an anti-insect/lice/fleas...ect.

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 5:28 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may have to do a little searching, but I believe I heard somewhere that you can use vinegar to kill them as well. Don't know as it hasn't happened to us yet.

Kristi

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 5:52 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I have read somewere that tea tree essential oil added to your shampoo will keep lice away, I have never dealt with lice thank goodness, but my daughters classroom had a horrible outbreak, I did cut my daughters hair it was down to the middle of her back, we got it cut to a bob, its still very darling, also my hairdresser said that if you put hairproducts in the hair like gel or mousse, they are less likley to stick to the hair follicle, Lice are attracted to very clean hair, Lice gives me the heeby Jeeebies, I know the kids cant help it neither can the parents, It must be frustrating!

Hope that helps
    tammy

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 6:01 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that is true about the Coconut shampoo try it my girlfriend told me it works so all you can do is try it and also to put baby oil in her hair and comb through it real well then wash it real good it is going to take a couple times to wash it out at least 3 times then comb through after you shampoo. There is also the rid conditioner if you would like to try that.

Tina

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:12 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes vinegar works too I believe it is the apple cidar vinegar. for the person I posted for on the other one about the coconut shampoo it will help keep them away but not kill them.

Tina

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:14 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another trick that works to prevent them is to oil your kid's scalp. Sounds
    dirty, but, take some vitamin E oil, grapeseed oil or jojoba oil - light carrier oils. Put some lavendar and or tea tree essential oil in it - a few drops of each per ounce of oil. If your child has really dry hair and scalp, you could even use vaseline as the base. Then at night, after shampooing and drying hair, part their hair and rub this in all over.

Lice can't stick to the scalp when it is a bit greasy. You will have to shampoo a lot, or not - if the hair is on the dry side, it might not be that big a deal. I learned this in beauty school. I went to a school that was very mixed ethnically, and when we were studying about lice, the instructer said, you need to know this, but, you won't see much if any in our clinic, but commented that if we were in the branch we would. Of course, she was asked why, and she said, because the majority of the customers at our school were African American and they rarely get them. This was fascinating and she was asked why. Because of the various chemicals they have to use on their hair, they tend to have very dry scalps. The various scalp treatments are oily enough the lice won't stick on them. So, actually, you could buy scalp treatments for dry scalp and use that. She was correct. During the first half, while at that school, there was not one single case. Midway I switched to the other school to get some experience on white hair, and it was CONSTANT. We had to really be careful and check our clients. (This is making me itch so bad, LOL) I wore my hair up in a tight french twist every day, (I have/had long hair and was worried).

I have some friends that swear by putting the essential oils in detangling spray - it stays in, they smell good and it repels them.

Home Permanents and Hair Dye will not kill lice. You would be amazed how many people would try that, and then come in to have us fix the bad perm or dye job, with a lousy head. I have no first hand experience with any of the natural treatments, but, some people swear by them. Once it gets in a school it can spread like wild fire, and, no one should feel bad. If your kids get it, you must be keeping them super clean.

Janet

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:39 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Several years ago while working in a child care center we had a bad break out of lice. One child's pediatrician told the mother she could get the dog shampoo with the picture of Lassie on the front and use it to repel lice. That the chemicals in it were not as bad as the ones in Rid. You can also find an electronic comb that kills the lice. You are supposed to use it everyday for about 5 minutes combing the hair. It will zap the lice. You can find the combs at Wal-Mart next to the Rid. It costs about $30 but you use it over and over so it's not a one time use thing.

Mary

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 10:45 pm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast