Painting Tiles & Formica

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried painting a counter top (formica) and/or tiles on a wall. I really want to redo my kitchen and don't have a lot of money for it. My countertop is old and I want to change it - it's an odd shape (a semi-circle at one end) so I think it may be rather

200, 2003, cha, change, counter, don, end, expensive, kind, kitchen, lot, may 10, money, pain, sat, semi, shape, trading, wall, wondering, tiles, painting, kathy, formica, frank, spaces, paint, date, and/or, redo, semi-circle, countertop

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Painting Tiles & Formica

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has ever tried painting a counter top (formica) and/or tiles on a wall. I really want to redo my kitchen and don't have a lot of money for it. My countertop is old and I want to change it - it's an odd shape (a semi-circle at one end) so I think it may be rather expensive to do. I saw Frank do it on Trading Spaces, but wasn't even sure what kind of paint to use.
    Kathy

Date: Sat May 10, 2003 6:57 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that show with trading spaces, he first primed the counter top then he painted it, not sure what type of paint you would use htough, im sure the people who work their would deffinetly know
    Tammy

Date: Sat May 10, 2003 8:24 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Formica needs to be sanded first with very fine sandpaper, given a base coat, then the final coat. The really big problem is be able to give the paint enough time to cure...if you can leave in untouched for 30 days you have a very hard surface. I had very good results using an oil base paint and then several coats of a poly that was suitable for use over an oil base paint. The key was in the sanding and curing.
    Sussi

Date: Sun May 11, 2003 12:29 am