Thread: Homemade Bibs

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade Bibs

I make my own baby bibs & I also give them as gifts when someone in our church/family has a baby. They are sooo super easy to make!

All you need is:

2 thick wash cloths
    1 extra large bandana
    thread to match bandana

What to do:

Fold bandana in half to make a triangle. Cut along folded edge. You should now have two triangles made out of the bandana. Hem cut edge on both triangles. Place one triangle on one washcloth to where the middle point of the triangle is in the middle of the washcloth. Sew it in place down both sides (you're sewing a "V"). (Hint - there will be bandana left up at the top that you won't have to sew. This is to tie around the baby's neck). Do the same to the other bandana triangle & washcloth. Note: On the wrong side this leaves a little "pocket" - it is handy for catching food that get inside anyway.

Now you have two bandana for your little cowboy/cowgirl! It is so cute! Fits infants to past toddlers. Even my 6 yr. old wears hers time to time when she wants to keep her outfits clean. I have also used seasonal heavy duty fabric napkins to give the bibs a seasonal flair! You could also (I have done this) just cut out a triangle the right size out of fabric scraps & just hem on all sides before sewing to the washcloth.

Aine

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 5:22 pm

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GillyBean For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love this idea Aine. I also wanted to add another baby gift idea (that costs a little more), but can be made very frugally. You can make a bath wrap for babies, toddlers and small kids with a bath towel and washcloth. Lay the bath towel out horizontally, lay the washcloth across the top and sew the 2 together. When this is finished, fold the other edge of the washcloth together and sew. This creates the cap of the bath wrap.

I like the idea of having a "signature" gift to give. One I received when my twins were born was cloth diapers burp rags. They were edged with stencil painted pictures.

Kristi

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 6:17 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for this! I was given one of these when I had my 1st daughter (9 yrs. ago) - all three of my girls have used it. Now that I have found out that #4 is a boy & the towel is pink... I'll have to make HIM a blue one!

Thanks!

Aine

Date: Sat May 10, 2003 12:56 am

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Handmade Bibs

I also like to give handmade baby gifts. I usually crochet either a baby afghan(yarn is under $6 on sale) or bibs(using worsted weight COTTON yarn which is about $1-3 per bib depending on size) or a baby book.

A scrapbooked baby book can be a fairly inexpensive gift IF you already scrapbook. It's a great way to use odds and ends. You can do generic colors like green, yellow or purple if you don't know the sex. The pages could be titled like Hospital Photo, Mom and Baby, Daddy's Sweetheart, Grandma and Grandpa's Joy, 3, 6, 9 month, and 1st birthday, also first tooth, and walking. I'm sure theyere are others you will think of.

If it's a shower I have totalling forgotten with no time to crochet, a big, cute piggy bank with a handful of coins will help get the baby(and parents, too) started saving for their post high school plans.

A great gift for a close friend's baby or relative that you want to spend a little more on would be savings bond or set up a mutual fund for them. I think the smallest sb's can be purchased for $25 and some mutual funds can be set up with $100 or less.