Fourteen in One (master recipe)

All ingredients must be at room temp, 68 - 70 degrees, before using.
In a large bowl, beat on medium speed until very fluffy and well blended:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
1c. sugar, processed in food processor for 30 sec, or superfine sugar
1/2 tsp salt
add and beat until well blended:
1 large egg yolk add and beat until well combined:
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
Reduce the speed to low and beat in just until combined:
2 1/2c. all-purpose flour
Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 day or it can be double-wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month.)

To bake, position a rack in the upper third and another in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the overn to 375 F. Remove one half of the dough from the fridge and cut in half. Return the unused portion to the fridge. Pick one of the following methods to prep the cookies for baking.

Scoop the cookie dough into 1 Tbsp balls with a small ice creal scoop and
roll each ball between your palms until smooth. Place the dough balls on
parchment-lined cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a smooth, flour coated glass, flatten each dough ball to about 1/8 inch think.

Lightly flour the work surface. Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thick, using an
offset spatula to loosen the dough. Sprinkle the surface lightly with flour as
needed to keep the dough from sticking. Cut the dough into desired shapes. Place the dough shapes on parchment-lined cookie sheets, spacing about 1/2 inch apart. Get as many dough shapes as you can out of each sheet, because the dough should be rolled only 2 times. Discard any leftover dough after the second rolling or form the leftover dough into balls and flatten them into 1/8 inch thick.

Bake, 2 sheets at a time, until the cookies are evenly golden brown, 6 to 8
minutes; rotate the sheets halfway through baking for even browning. Using a thin-bladed spatula, immediately transfer the cookies to racks to cool to room temperature. Decorate the cooled cookies, if desired, and transfer to an airtight container.

The other 13 kinds are the following, the 14th was one of my ideas, I am not posting the recipes to avoid making this post too long.
1.. Cornmeal Citrus
2.. Chocolate-Cinnamon
3.. Marble
4.. Lemon Butter
5.. Lemon Poppy Seed
6.. Orange Butter
7.. Orange-Nut
8.. Coconut
9.. Ginger
10.. Butterscotch
11.. Peanut Butter ---- I liked this and I don't like peanut butter cookies
12.. Spice
13.. Raisin-Spice
14.. Pumpkin-Pie Spice

You get QUITE a few cookies from this recipe, but they don't tend to last very long.

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 11:01 pm