Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default question about cookie/muffin mixes

Dear learned members. Can anyone tell me if they have ever made cookie dough or muffins ahead of time, put in the frig for the next day? I'm not much for cooking in the morning and I was wondering if I could mix the stuff in the evening and fill and bake in the morning? Thanks to all, Pat

Date: Thu May 8, 2003 1:19 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default muffins & another question

I would like to know how those of you who do make muffins, do it without the edges being burned.... I wonder the above too, and thought I would tack this onto her post =o) The kids are on a big muffin kick here lately and they are always burned around the edges. Now, as an answer to the above, I know that peanut butter dough, sugar dough, and chocolate chip dough are all able to be made ahead and in the case of the two first ones, better when refrigerated prior to baking.
    Cassie

Date: Thu May 8, 2003 3:02 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have often made muffin batter and cookie dough up ahead of time and baked at a later time with much success. In fact, I prefer letting some batters to sit for a bit. My recipe for bran muffins (using all bran cereal) comes out *much* nicer when the cereal has had time to soften more. This recipe is a large batter than you can keep refrigerated for several weeks (make only as many as you want). I often make a double or triple batch of chocolate chip cookies and bake only a single batch at a time. I use old 4 L plastic ice cream containers to store the batter / dough in the fridge (to keep it fresh). I have not had any muffin or cookie flop because of baking them at a later time. Try it and you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

Lisa B.

Date: Thu May 8, 2003 6:02 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes! You can. In fact cook it, refrigerate or freeze them, then thaw during the night and nuke it in the morning. Also, for cookie dough, you can make the dough, roll into a log, wrap with saran wrap then put in a gallon size bag and freeze, then just cut into slices when you want to make cookies and cook.

I have also made homemade cinnamon rolls - I did the dough, rolled it out, put the cinnamon, sugar and butter on it, cut them up, then set it in the microwave to rise for in the morning. My oven was set to turn on automatically about 1/2 and hour before I woke up. Then I just popped them in the oven when I woke up.

You can make the sausage link and biscuits for breakfast. Get the cheap biscuits, cut in half and wrap around a 'Lil Smokie' link and cook until the biscuit is done. The I put 3 to a flip top baggie and a bunch more baggies like this in a quart size baggie, then froze. Took one out the night before and nuked 30 seconds and my son had a portable, nutritious breakfast. 3 was what he could eat - 4 was too many and 2 were not enough. He is 8.

Date: Thu May 8, 2003 11:52 pm

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Charlotte! Blessings, Pat

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 7:32 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have mixed up cornbread and refrigerated it one night and fixed it for supper the next night. I never saw a difference in taste or texture, but it was a time saver.

Date: Fri May 9, 2003 9:01 am

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never made muffin mix ahead of time, but I do make a large batter of choco chip cookie batter and roll into "logs" that will make about a dozen cookies when sliced and freeze each log. When anyone's in the mood for fresh cookies, I take out a "log", let it sit about an hour, slice and bake as in the directions.

Quick and easy!

Date: Sun May 11, 2003 11:04 am

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: muffins & another question

Quote Originally Posted by GillyBean
    I would like to know how those of you who do make muffins, do it without the edges being burned.... I wonder the above too, and thought I would tack this onto her post =o) The kids are on a big muffin kick here lately and they are always burned around the edges. Now, as an answer to the above, I know that peanut butter dough, sugar dough, and chocolate chip dough are all able to be made ahead and in the case of the two first ones, better when refrigerated prior to baking.
    Cassie

Date: Thu May 8, 2003 3:02 pm
    This was months ago you asked, but I suspect you are using a dark muffin tin. If your tin is a dark metal, then you need to reduce your oven temp by 25 degrees and check for doneness. I usually need to add five more minutes but the burning doesn't happen anymore so it is worth more time.

To be sure the center is cooked through, I also keep the muffins in the tin to cool for at least 15 minutes. They keep cooking in the tin but no over browning is going to happen.

(Also make sure your shelf in the oven is in the middle and not to close to the top oven burner too.)