Refrigerator Pie Crust Mix
6 cups flour
1 tbs salt
4 tsp sugar
2-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in the vegetable shortening until mixture is the consistency of coarse meal. Store in refrigerator in airtight container.
For pie crust, scoop out 2-1/2 cups of the mix and combine it with 3-5 tbsp cold water and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix lightly with a fork, tossing the mixture, until it holds together when squeezed gently into a ball. Separate into two balls and roll out for double crust pie. Use 1-1/4 cups of the mix, 2-3 tbs cold water and 1/2 tsp lemon juice for a single crust pie. This makes enough for 3 double crust pies.
Note: This is how I learned to make pie 'dough' as a young girl and it is the best recipe for "laying" in dough for future use;-D Daddy's favorite dessert (or snack;->) was pie. My mother would make at least two pies a week. Since his favorite was lemon meringue, using this recipe, my mother had prepared enough dough for two fruit pies (apple, blueberry, cherry, etc., depending on the season) and two lemon meringue pies. This simple recipe would get Daddy through the month in pies. AND we ALWAYS had dessert every it cake, pie, or was ready! Cookies didn't count...they were snacks. However, homemade cookies with ice cream were acceptable upon occasion! LOL!