Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Simple Spanish Rice

Simple inexpensive homemade spanish rice recipe to accompany Tostadas, Chipotle tacos and much more

Read More: Article: Simple Spanish Rice

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

this looks really delish, thanks so much for sharing. I'm always on the lookout for cheap rice recipes

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mexican rice is something I make a lot! A friend taught me many, many years ago when I lived in Texas. The recipe is similar to this but you also add some chopped green pepper with the onions. I use tomato paste instead of the tomato soup - doesn't take much - probably about a tablespoon or so. My recipe doesn't include garlic but that is a personal choice. Once the rice, onion and peppers are ready (rice is nice and brown and onion and peppers start to soften) I add salt, pepper, cumin, and the tomato paste. Stir it all up to mix then pour in the chicken broth. I always use twice as much broth as rice - works perfect every time! Let it come to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover it and let it cook for 20 minutes. I was told to never stir the rice until you are ready to serve and then you fluff it with a fork. This is one of my family's favorites! By the way, you can take any leftovers and add eggs to them the next morning for breakfast. Just break some eggs in with the left over rice until you have enough. Will be kinda liquidy - and fry like pancakes. My middle son loves this!