Article: Why You Should Keep Powdered & Evaporated Milk on Hand- vBCms Comments

Learn the benefits of keeping instant dry milk and evaporated milk & how it's everyday use can save you money Read More: Article: Why You Should Keep Powdered & Evaporated Milk on Hand

milk, evaporated, article, hand, powdered, save, everyday, read, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=4489-why-you-should-keep-powdered-evaporated-milk-on-hand, money, keeping, benefits, learn, instant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Why You Should Keep Powdered & Evaporated Milk on Hand

Learn the benefits of keeping instant dry milk and evaporated milk & how it's everyday use can save you money

Read More: Article: Why You Should Keep Powdered & Evaporated Milk on Hand

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have tons of powdered milk. my hubby gets senior commodities once a month. the bath sounds good.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to ask what is that pictured there, looks yummy.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Over the years, I've nearly always had them both on hand.. they are just fine for cooking.. Undiluted evaporated milk works great in cream style soups, and I have used the powdered nonfat milk in my fabulous mashed potatoes ...everyone always loves them.. I put the dry milk powder (a half to 1 cup) in the potatoes after I break them up with my mixer, mash a little, then add butter, then just enough hot potato water to whip them up to a heavenly fluff.. works best with russets, and don't forget the salt in the cooking water. If you don't salt them before cooking, they never taste good.
    I also use the dry and the evaporated milks diluted (or not) for most any cooking uses.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I always have powder milk and evaporated milk in the cupboards, I do not hoard this type of milk for drinking at all. I use powder milk for all of my baking needs, and the evaporated milk for cooking dishes that require milk, I buy whole evaporated milk, it makes wonderful sauces, scalloped potatoes, mash potatoes mac n Cheese. If a recipe calls for milk I do not use our drinking milk I use canned milk, I use the store generic or Aldi's brand and it is wonderful. Cakes that require milk I use powder, not to mention I use powder a lot in the winter time to make hot chocolate mix, and oatmeal packets. There is more uses for these types of milk other than drinking.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use evaporated milk in all my casseroles. It makes them creamier!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andreagwyn- the picture above is no-bake cheesecake with minature chocolate chips and chocolate syrup on top.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Why You Should Keep Powdered & Evaporated Milk on Hand

Thanks, that was very helpful, never thought to use the potato water. I will have to try your way and see what the family says

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been thinking of having powdered milk on hand and now you have given me a reason why, I can't believe how expensive the powdered milk has gotten but it's a good idea to use that for the baking and saving the drinking milk. Thank you for the tips!!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieLeon View Post
    I have been thinking of having powdered milk on hand and now you have given me a reason why, I can't believe how expensive the powdered milk has gotten but it's a good idea to use that for the baking and saving the drinking milk. Thank you for the tips!!
    If you can't find a good deal on powdered milk try shopping at bulk stores like BJ's or Sam's Club. I shop at BJ's a lot. I split the cost of the membership with my mother so I only pay about $25/ year and I save thousands of dollars on my groceries every year!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I will have to check their price, I do have a membership there as well.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Growing up, we always used canned (evaporated) milk for our mashed potatoes and for the gravy. Unfortunately, I've gotten out of the habit but need to do it again. I also like to have a little bowl of peaches for dessert and pour a little canned milk on them. It's a comfort food for me
    My mom gives me her senior commodities powdered milk that I turn around and use for my hot chocolate mix.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was raised by people who suffered through major hardships during the world wars 1 & 2. The tips and tricks that they used were more or less forgotten as time went on and the conveinece factor of "modern times" took over. Time savers such as packaged food mixes...your pasta, sauce mix all in one box, just add meat and microwaved foods etc caused many of the things our Grandmothers and Mothers did to economize fell by the wayside. I worked outside the home for way too many years and went from canning my own produce and fruits, making my own bread, to convient meals and products. We had a small "kitchen sized" lidded garbarge can full of powdered milk I used in cooking and baking... ALWAYS used evaporated or canned milk while coooking. Also flour, oats, rice , beans were purchased in bulk.

I remember my Grandmother (born on a farm in 1879) turning up her nose at the "new" cleaners etc. She'd shake her head and say " WASTE OF MONEY IS ALL! " Her motto was USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITH OUT!" I think she would be fasinated by all the current conviences as well as revolted by the many products we've been led to believe we can't live with out.

I love this site because it is allowing so many families to re-discover some many "old -fashioned" uses of products that often work much better than their modern counterparts as well as the fact that they are also NOT DAMAGING our environment or polluting our bodies with chemicals designed to make them visually attractive and "smell good".

I used Witch Hazel as a ""Face toner" the entire time I was growing up, Lemon and VIniger rinses on my hair, baby oil for make up remover..... Rose water and glycerine or castile soaps to bath and clean my hair.
    I am gradually making my way back to the good old multi use products. I am saving money and feeling "Cleaner" without all the chemicals around.

Thank You for establishing this site and making it available to everyone.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, that was very interesting, your Grandmother was a smart lady

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use powdered milk in my homemade bath-salts. I mix Epsom salt, rock salt and powdered milk then add essential oil of choice. When giving as gifts, I frequently will add coloring to the salts and then alternate the salt/milk layers in a clear glass jar with label attached. Makes very quick and easy gifts to have on hand or make at least minute.